1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to, but it will feel awkward, plus I don't know how to just get it over with

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Sep 5, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, like the title. I want to, and I don't really care what people think, but I'm not sure if there are people who would be insulted if I didn't tell them personally, slightly scared of bullies, not scared of what they think, just what they'll do. I'm sure the vast majority would not give a shit, but I do know of several people that might say or do something to me. And I don't know how to defend myself, I'm not above taking some cheap shots, but I know other people are much stronger and better equipped to beat the living shit out of me.

Also wondering how I should do it, anytime somebody calls me gay I'll just shrug it off and not say anything at all.

Most of my teachers wouldn't care, at least, not enough to break being professional and fail me.

I have that facebook cover photo that says "I'm gay" in Japanese with a rainbow on it and in English it says if they can read it, they know my secret. I also have two pride things I got last time I was at the mall, a wrist sweatband and a rainbow dogtag. All 5 people from school that know haven't said anything, nor do they seem the care, they're supportive and nothing has changed between us at all...

I'm not scared, I'm just a touch nervous at how awkward things would get between some people.

2. rjrh20

Re: Wanting to, but it will feel awkward, plus I don't know how to just get it over w

That is the exact same way I feel, it's because I go to a school where people will literally walk up to you, punch you in the face and walk away for no reason. And last year some big ass kid beat the shit out of me and I had to go to the hospital.

3. Oh hello

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Re: Wanting to, but it will feel awkward, plus I don't know how to just get it over w

HELLO YOUNG ONES! Sorry just felt like doing that. But really what you should do is first come out to a smaller group of people that you trust and that way they can support you in coming out to a larger group

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think that there may be some people that may like for you to tell them personally, and you can possibly make an itinerary to see in what order you should come out to them. Another thing that could be helpful is to maybe bring up LGBT issues in school a bit more often than what would be considered normal (for instance, you could say that New Mexico, a state bordering Texas is about ready to legalize same sex marriage in history class or something, or in an English class you could maybe quote Harvey Milk in an assignment that you are doing). I've been doing this for the last year now, just trying to get people to take hints. There's four more people that I feel the need to tell at the moment and then I'll be fully out. I'm planning that on my birthday, I might just post a message on Facebook, but I'm not exactly sure just yet, but maybe you could do something similar. I wouldn't personally tell any known blabbermouths either, because I accidentally told one, and she ended up telling like 5 people, and 5 turned to 10, to 20, all the way up until almost my entire school knew, so I just came out just to solve the problem. Being outed at school sucks, even if most people take it positively.

About people who may confront you over it, my advice would be to make sure you are somewhere in your school that you feel safe, like around a teacher, or even two or three, preferably. I wouldn't go anywhere that you may feel isolated or unsafe, like a public restroom, locker room, or an isolated hallway. Whenever I'm around the bigots at my school, I make sure that there's always a teacher nearby, even if I know they're probably not stupid enough to try something physically towards me. If you by some odds do get jumped or attacked, yell for some help, and do whatever you can just to defend yourself. Don't try to do anything but deter the assailants, because if you do more, you might get in trouble for it.

Hope this helped, and best of luck.