1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to come out right now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clockworkfox, Sep 5, 2013.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just feel like I'm avoiding the topic at this point. I have a feeling my family already knows anyway, but I can't be certain. I just don't know how they'll take it. I have no idea how they feel about LGBT people. They seem to be ok with them on the whole, but I don't know how they'll feel about me once I'm out. Parents generally aren't excited when they find out, "well, I'm losing a daughter, but gaining a transfag son". :dry:

My sister knows. I don't know if she knows how badly I want to transition physically, but she knows. It's my parents I'm worried about.

2. Nick07

*hug*

consider how much damage it would make if they rejected or ignored the news. If you know you won't become depressed or badly hurt, tell them.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hey, man.

Can relate. Parents suspect something's up with me, brother knows about my desire to transition, but on a whole have no idea how the family would take the news of a transgender son.

So. Since you don't know how they'll take it and I doubt at this point there's a good subtle way to find out, the best thing to do might be to just consider how best to break the news. Make sure that when you do come out, be sure you're prepared for any kneejerk reactions and possible rejection and you've got a back-up plan, such as a place to crash for a few days, if things go south.

They could be more accepting than you'd think out of the gate. Just be willing to explain this shit and answer awkward questions. :lol:

Best of luck, man, and let us know how it goes.

4. Lewis

In the same position myself. It feels like if you don't do it now, you never will.

If you're ready, go for it. You can only find out their true feelings towards LGBT people if you come out. I am sure they will love you regardless.

Best of luck. :slight_smile:

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to think I won't become depressed or too badly hurt. But I'm more sensitive sometimes than I like to admit.

I've been thinking about this. Been building up a little safety net of fall-back friends, just in case. Though I hope it won't come down to that.

I'll definitely update when I do finally make it out of this goddamn closet, that's for sure.

I really hope so.