1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just told my mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jonnyNZ, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jonnyNZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, I'm new, just stumbled across this site. I'm 29 year old male living in New Zealand. I've had "gay" feelings since i was about 14, but only gave in and accepted the fact that i was gay last year.

I told a good friend in January (who is a lesbian) and then a few more friends in April.
    Tonight I decided I wanted to tell my mother... I decided it has been long enough.

She was talking about what I was going to inherit from her when she eventually passes on, and I told her not to bother about that, may as well give it to my siblings with children because I don't have children to pass them down to. She said 'you might one day'... i used that as an opportunity to say "don't freak out... but I'm probably not going to have a family in the future... I'm Gay"

She replied "Ok... do you have a boyfriend?" I said "no"
    She then asked a few questions like if I had my sights set on anyone, I'm thinking she was wanting to know how I knew myself. I was pretty vague... I'm not the deep and meaningful type.

After a short conversation, she said that it doesn't change who I am, I'm still the same person who has supported her through some tough times, and I'm still one of her most reliable children.

So i guess it went pretty well... this was about 4 hours ago, but I feel reaaaallly weird about it... not at peace,nor at ease, just really strange. its almost 3am and I can't stop thinking about it, can't sleep. I feel really uncomfortable about it. Is this normal?

2. Van

Van

Hey, congrats. Your mom's reaction was pretty sweet. :slight_smile:

Don't feel weird about this, what's important is that your mom is supportive and now you can be who you are. :slight_smile:

And welcome to EC!

3. jonnyNZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:
    Maybe just kinda awkward because we've never talked about my private relationships? Or lack there-of?
    Ugh this is so strange... lol no going back now I guess. Sometimes I wish life had a Ctrl+Z. Could have done it better I think.

#3 jonnyNZ, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. Nick07

lol, congrats! I believe in a few days you will become comfortable again and will be glad you told her :slight_smile:

5. Ticklish Fish

6. Holly

I felt really awkward too after I came out to my mum, I think it's because it's such a private part of us when we're in the closet, it just seems odd telling someone, especially a family member. The awkwardness goes away after a few days, so don't worry!

Her reaction sounds really awesome and accepting, well done!

7. JPC

JPC Guest

Congrats! That's a huge step and how you're feeling is completely normal! I felt the exact same way after I told my mother. I expected that I would immediately feel so much better, like a huge weight had been lifted. Instead I had this inexplicably weird feeling for a few days. The sense of relief and peace will come very soon!

8. Van

Van

Well, I remember it was kinda awkward for me, too. But after a while I felt comfortable talking about LGBT stuff with my mom.
    Now that your mom knows, you'll probably feel more comfortable sharing things with her. :slight_smile:

9. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man that is awesome! You are very lucky to have an understanding mother. Don't take that for granted. Be happy! Congrats!

10. jonnyNZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone - makes me feel a little more comfortable about it.
    I'm glad that other people had similar experiences :slight_smile:

11. 2112

It does feel weird for the first couple days. I felt like that was the only think they could think about when they saw me, that now I was just their "gay kid", even though they really just wished I'd clean my room. They were probably a little surprised, but they haven't made a big deal about it and haven't treated me any different for it. Actually, other than my sister, they don't really talk about it unless I want to.