1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out process stalled!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JPC, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

Hey guys! I came out to my immediate family in February and to some friends in April and the reactions were great, but since then I haven't been able to come out to anybody else, despite having ample opportunity. It seemed at the beginning as if there was some momentum gathering in my coming out process and I was hoping to be fully out by now (except to extended family and my dad). I feel fine now with being gay, I've fully accepted it and so have my family, but I'm just not able to tell people. Even to people who I've been close friends with for many years and I know will be accepting of it. One of my close friends has a few gay cousins, another friend of mine is bisexual, yet I'm just not able to get the words out any more. It's getting pretty frustrating now, it's always on the tip of my tongue but I always end up not saying anything. There have even been occasions where the conversation has been specifically about homosexuality (gay marriage is quite topical here right now) and I still say nothing. Has this been a problem for anybody else? I'd really appreciate some advice!

2. method

I sympathise with this exact same problem. After coming out for the first time in April and telling a few people in a short time period, I haven't told many other people since.

I always keep in mind that coming out is a "lifetime" process, and so expect that to be tiring after a while.

But I'm not sure where to find the energy to keep doing so - the desire to be honest with the people I love doesn't seem to be enough, and I find myself opting for the easier (and lazier) option of going with the status quo.

One thing for me is that I haven't had many opportunities to hang out with friends as I've buried myself in my work. I know I need to work on that - and create opportunities to discuss the issue.