1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum of 2 teens... I've realised I'm gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scaredofitall, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don't know what to do... It all seems crazy:frowning2: I've been in a relationship with a guy for most of my kids lives. He doesn't live with us... I couldn't bear it. I fantasise a lot about women, but it has hit me lately that actually that I see my future as single or in a relationship with a woman... For a whole lot of reasons churning around in my head. I know I would give up everything I own for this... My home, security, possessions. I don't want any of it. I am so scared though. I love my partner, but not sexually and don't want to hurt him, and there's my kids. One is starting university this month and one will be in 2 years. I am embarrassed and ashamed of myself for not knowing sooner and because I am going to end up hurting people. :frowning2: I suffer depression anyway. :help:

2. lovely lesbian

Hi you should not feel ashamed or embarrassed I've only just discovered I'm gay in the last couple of weeks so don't feel bad you will get a lot of support on here so don't worry xx

3. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks... I'm so scared... Crying a lot when I should be concentrating on being a good mum. I just don't get how the realisation has hit me like it has and how to be sure (which I think I am), without screwing up other ppls lives. My kids dad came out after we separated when they were young... So they have one out gay parent and I think they may hate me if they found out I feel like I do.

4. lovely lesbian

I don't think they would hate you did they hate their dad? When he came out? I don't have any kids but I'm sure they will love and support you no matter what.

5. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    No they don't hate their dad. I told them when they were young so they could adopt their own views rather than their paternal grandparents homophobic ones. I'm not even 40 yet... I don't want to spend the rest of my life pretending I am happy in the life I am in.

6. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

There's your answer. And they probably know you're pretending. Don't they deserve to know what their mum is really like when she's happy? Don't you think they'd want that for you?

I'm in quite a similar situation - eldest going off to university in 2 weeks, youngest just started HS, we just told them last weekend that we're getting a divorce and I'm just coming to terms with my own identity. It's a lot, and I definitely have my moments (or hours or days) of feeling completely overwhelmed, other times of giddiness, and still others where all I want to do is cry my eyes out.

You are definitely not alone, and you've come to the right place. Read and write here, you'll be amazed at how very much it helps and how much strength and encouragement all the wonderful people will provide.

7. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for replying. I keep checking back desperate to know I'm not on my own. I am suffering from depression and have been so bad lately that I have barely had time with my kids. My oldest has been doing her own thing (she was 18 last week) and my son has been out at school or I have been hidden away so I don't think they realise something major is going on in my life/head. After an awful childhood I just wanted to focus on being a good mum and getting them through to uni... And to get my life at 40... That kind of hit me that the life mapped out is nothing like the one I want. I've been living for other ppl. I have been massively overwhelmed with all the thoughts and emotions. Just being on here tonight has made me accept that I am not straight ... Can't quite say 'hey, I'm gay' just yet. Panicking about hurting my partner. He deserves better. I've self harmed for the first time in a while but worse han ever, but to iChat I don't feel the need.

Have you told ppl close to you?

8. JessicaWolfess

If you're still with you're man it could be a problem, though if you're currently single talk to you're children about you're sexuality. I bet you'd be surprised at how accepting they are. And then start dating women

9. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am still with the man although we don't live together. We do share the mortgage on my house. I'm scared about uprooting my son (16) until he goes to uni. I never had the opportunity to be happy as a kid/teen and don't want to do that to him.... But I woul like to meet a woman. Jeez my body goes crazy just at the thought (embarrassing...) I live in a very small town and it couldn't happen here.

10. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

I have not told anyone in my family, although I came out to my hairdresser last week (who came out as bi right back at me - she's got two kids & is sleeping with her exhusband, so that was a surprise), and last night I told my two greatest confidants via email.

Frankly, I afraid to tell my husband, because we had already agreed to getting a divorce before I started to realize exactly why it was that I had never had any sexual desire for him (or any other man for that matter), we are on the path to a much more amicable divorce than our marriage ever was, and I don't want to jeopardize that by making him think that I've been hiding it from him - and he would immediately jump to that conclusion.

So, I'm seeing a therapist, trying to find some courage to stand up for myself and my life, and in the meantime I'm taking the coward's way out and telling myself that I'll deal with it when there's a reason to disclose the information. Like the first time I'm ready to introduce a woman to my family. Pretty sure I'll have plenty of time before I need to worry about it that way.

So, sorry, but don't look to me for inspiration, I'm only good for comardery and understanding. The good part about this place though, is that there's no shortage of other, fantastic people with their own inspirational stories. Read enough and hopefully we'll both find a bit of their courage!

Have you thought about talking to a therapist? Might help you work through the depression. Self harming should never be an option. Find someone to talk to - it'll do you a world of good! How about your ex? Sounds like he would understand. Can you reach out to him?

11. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I hope you feel freer after your divorce. I feel like I may never actually meet a woman either ... And so some ppl may never know.

My ex is an awful father so right now I can't talk to him about anything. I have messaged my brother who came out at 16 but he hasn't read it.

I saw physchologist last yr but this was not on the agenda at that point. It was still just a fantasy for myself only. I wouldn't know where to find a therapist for this ... Not where I live.

It's good to know I'm not on my own.

12. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Guest

Scaredofitall, I've got some really good shoulders and can totally get where you're coming from (and as sorry a statement as it is, I don't sleep much lately, so chances of me logging on within any couple of hours are good.) Feel free to PM me, or wall post, or whatever. But PLEASE please please please! do NOT harm yourself!

This exploration, adventure, discernment, self-discovery, whatever you want to call becoming one with your own self-awareness... the ultimate goal to the whole thing is to find yourself, your fulfillment, your happiness. None of those things will come as a result of self-destruction. PLEASE! Please, promise me that you will take ULTIMATE care of yourself. Without you, there is nothing. You do realize that right?

If you can't find a therapist where you live, let me tell you, I've taken advantage of the individual support feature on EC, and the folks listed there are absolutely amazing. Please, talk to someone, until you've done it, in the midst of your most hopeless moments, you can't even begin to imagine how much it will help, but do it anyway. Here's the link, reach out to one of these incredible human beings. Please?
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/87348-individual-support.html

13. Ohhai

Hugs cxx

14. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks. I felt a lot lighter last night... Kind of accepting who I am.

15. KTLA

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello mums!!!
    I've come back looking for some support since I've been considering throwing out the opportunity to be with the woman I am completely in love with. I separated from my husband in July and I moved out since the apartment was his prior to us meeting. My kids are 16 and 8 and they are upset with me because on the days they are with me they're in an unfamiliar neighborhood and dont have their friends or the swimming pool. My daughter told me she refuses to live here. She's quite difficult anyway. My ex is being chummier than ever and is all of a sudden the perfect dad....

More comiserating, but I would love to talk to more mothers, especially with older kids. My girlfriend was a very good friend before things got romantic so my kids know her as well.

I'd love to support each other while we're all going through this! There has to be a way to be yourself and hold your head high. We'll work it out! :slight_smile:

If this is this hard, how will I ever tell them that in one aspect of my life I am happier than I've ever been? I want all of my future with my new love, but I feel so selfish.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 01:52 AM ----------

Sorry, that message was pretty scattered. I'll work on my cohesiveness.....

16. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know exactly how you feel scaredofitall. I'm nearly 30 and just realised I am bi, haven't come out yet and feel stupid that I didn't come out younger. When I look back, it seems obvious that I've always been bi, and even knew it on some level but didn't fully admit it, which makes it seem dafter. I've mostly been attracted to men with women less so, but now I am starting to prefer women, which is why now I'm trying to buck up the courage to come out. I've read a lot of stuff online recently though that says sexuality is fluid and can change over time - this doesn't mean you're 'changing your mind', but that your sexuality can change. Maybe that's the case for you, rather than just 'not realising' earlier? A lot of women who are married to men and have children have found themselves in your situation so you aren't alone - try googling it, you will find a ton of stories. I'm currently trying to feel brave enough to ring the LGF helpline - I thought maybe coming out to someone on a helpline might be an easier first time as I keep freezing up face to face. Looks like I'm freezing up about calling as well though. Not sure why this is so hard, but it just is.

17. Ohhai

Hope you're feeling a bit better xx

18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I don't have kids and wasn't in a heterosexual relationship when I first realised and started coming to terms with my sexuality but I did come out in my mid to late 20's so if I can be any help to anyone just let me know. I know it can be frustrating and make you feel stupid that you have only realised now rather than when you are younger but it really isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

19. cali

Hey, when you're ready you should be open with your kids. They'll get over it. My Dad is gay, but even through we all know (he lives with his male partner), he won't say it and so it's ignored by everyone like a dirty secret. I think that's part of the reason I'm terrified of coming out, part of me still feels it's something wrong. I don't know why he can't see that we're all fine with it. I'm just glad he's happy.

20. Scaredofitall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am still scared... But have spoken to he kids dad... Asked him if he thought ghey'd cope with 2 gay parents. He was supportive. Also asked advice from a male gay friend who told me it has been obvious in the 11 yrs with my partner that he has been much more for me than I am for him. After feeling angry with myself, I am terrified of the aftermath of telling ppl especially my partner. He might want to sell our house. He doesn't live here as I couldn't do it, but is hopeful of that being our future so helps towards the mortgag. I can't pay it on my own. I could cope with losing it and living in a poky flat, but my 16 song as 2 more yrs at high school and my daughter needs to be able to come home during university breaks ... Plus I have 2 young dogs and 4 cats. They are important to me too. I'm not sure how it will pan out...
    I can't get women out of my mind at all either. I haven't met anyone, just a crush and fantasies. I'm not sure how I will ever meet anyone - I want the emotional connection aswell as sexual but think I'll be like a nervous teenager! I know I want a woman in touch with her feminity - not afraid to glam up occasionally. Is it crazy to know or think I know what I want?
    It is helpful/comforting to know there are more of us. I know no one personally.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 07:33 PM ----------

I will be open once I have spoken to my partner and my daughter is settled at uni. My dad has had relationships with men in the past too and my older brother is bisexual but more towards men.