1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immaturity?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Peridot, May 24, 2008.

1. Peridot

This is going to be a really stupid question: Is being gay a sign of immaturity?

I have a friend who has been acting oh so "mature" lately.

Psh. She's retarded.

Everything someone does something she goes, "That is so immature."

And the other day she told me I had the immaturity of an 8 year old. She knows about my sexual orientation and I know I can be loud at times, but I wonder if part of it is because of my sexuality?

I keep replaying scenarios in my head where she's going to come up to me and say, "Stop being gay, it's so immature. Why don't you just choose to be straight?"

She hasn't said it to me or anything, I just have this strong feeling she is going to say something like that...

From a straight person's perspective that maybe narrow minded at times, does being gay seem like a sign of immaturity?

2. Trumpetplyer23

Hm....Some people MIGHT see being gay as a sign of immaturity with such things like LUG (lesbian until graduation) existing, but it depends on if that person is biased enough to believe such things.

A narrow minded straight person is going to see homosexuality in a bad light--- immoral, immature, etc. At least, that's what I think, if it's right, I don't know, but this is what I think.

3. BadAndy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people are under the impression that homosexuality is caused by an immaturity of heterosexual feelings and they have like a billion possible theories of why the homosexual hasn't matured.

Personally I think it's junk. But I believe people can be immature regardless of whether they are straight or gay :thumbsup:

4. STK

STK Guest

I'm more concerned about why she's your friend. Gay does NOT equal immature. Sexuality does not play a role in any maturity other than physical. Whether it's gay, straight, or anything in between.

5. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Maybe she was walking with her mother and her mother said "You're acting like an 8-year old" whenever she tried to have a good time. A form of control abuse, in my opinion. Perhaps it is embedded in her head that acting a certain way is "immature". She may have adopted some of her mother's personality traits, if this were the situation.

#5 Nicvcer, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  6. SamAlex728

Personally, I've been told that I'm 5,000x more mature than my brother. He's 22 and he's got the maturity of a four year old, and NO WAY HE'S ANYTHING BUT STRAIGHT.

7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I've heard the argument that homosexuality is a sign of immaturity, or immature attachment or development or whatever. In my opinion I think it's total rubbish, total total rubbish - totally ignore her.

Although it doesn't sound as though she's actually explicitly made the connection to you, so I wouldn't worry about it unless she does, but I would definately take her up on it if she does say so!