1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking I might come out this way.. but is it a good idea..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bryar Thorne, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Bryar Thorne

I'm running my first half marathon in January in order to raise money for leukemia.. We get a super personalized page that is almost like a blog where we can show people who view it our progress and just generally talk about how we're feeling.. I'm running it in memory of my first therapist that I was ever able to connect with because she passed away from leukemia and it really would mean a lot to me to do something in her honor for all of the help she gave me.. She was the first person I ever came out to, so it really means a lot to me to honor her like this.. I've been thinking about it and I'm already 1000% sure that I want to do the run as a male.. and was thinking of the possibility of customizing my reasoning for raising funds for her because of how much of an inspiration in my life she was.. The only thing is that I want to be able to explain exactly why that was the case to everyone who is looking to help me raise funds and I'm feeling that in order to do that, I'd like to be honest with the people who are putting there money into my training.. I don't want my coming out to overshadow the fact that I am honoring her though and I worry it will do that.. I don't want to make it seem self-centered, it's really an honorary thing and means a lot to me.. I worry it will come across as being about me though.. Does it seem like something I should do to you guys, or do you think I should just keep it about her? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2013 at 06:18 PM ----------

I think it'd also be good to mention that the person who is my trainer is totally supportive of the community and I wouldn't be in an situation where harm could come to me for coming out.. She did an event to raise money herself where she invited her local LGBT groups to come out for a night of bingo in order to raise money from the cards.. So I know she's totally not someone who is going to be like.. freaked out by this or something.. I think I would want to come out to her first though and see what she thinks about it as well.. Mainly judging if I even should based on this threads replies though. :slight_smile:

2. biggayguy

My first thought is to keep this strictly about leukemia. The run is about raising funds for leukemia. Adding another issue may confuse donors. Maybe you could wear a t-shirt with a picture of your therapist on it. On second thought it sounds like a very nice thing to do! Hoping you have much success.

3. Bryar Thorne

I think that is some sound advice.. :slight_smile: Thank you for that.. You're right, I forget sometimes that a ton of information sometimes can be overwhelming and confusing for some people.. Thank you for your thoughts, I think you're right. :slight_smile:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I would just keep it to the run itself and about your therapist as well. If you wanted to have a picture of her with you in honour of her that would be pretty neat. Hope the run is going to be successful!

If you wanted to come out to your training, you can always do so after the event. There is nothing wrong with going up to your trainer at some point later and trying to come out to her, if you feel she would be a good support to have. And judging from what you have mentioned, I think she would be someone great to have as part of your support network. :slight_smile:

5. Bryar Thorne

I agree.. I think she would be great for that as well.. She's an old family friend so that makes it 100x better when I feel like I want to come out to her.. I've been thinking now about coming out to someone in my office who just got married to his boyfriend of 16 years.. I've been really close to the two of them for a long time.. I just feel like maybe they'd be pretty understanding.. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the advice though.. I'm going to stick with keeping it about her I think. :grin: