1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming out to my premed class...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RainyViolinist, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RainyViolinist

Hai frands! So as the title says, I am considering coming out to my premed class after I learned we're doing a project to learn about each other. Basically, what I have to do is get 5 things that represent me, and we'll share why they represent us. Very elementary school-like, I know :lol:. What I was thinking I might do is that I'd choose four regular things, do those, and for my fifth item, I'd get a rainbow flag or something along those lines and basically come out in my explanation of it. The very thought of this is nerve wracking since this is a high school where I know basically no one, and I have no idea how they'll react, but I think I'm ready to do this. Gosh, I already came out to all my middle school friends, and now I have to go through this all over again :lol:. So guys, what do you think of this plan? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for reading :grin:!

2. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think this is the perfectly opportunity while you don't know anyone it is much harder when everyone asumes you are not... im not really sure

3. iHateThinking

I don't really have any suggestions for you, but I'd like to applaud you for your courage. I do like the idea of bringing in the rainbow flag as a representation, it's clever and gives a visual aid instead of just trying to explain it verbally.

I do wish you much luck!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome. High school is generally a great place to be gay(*comparatively at least). Who knows? People might be curious and it could net you friends/boyfriends you would never have had otherwise.

Especially with pre-med students also, they are not going to think less of you. People who would work so hard to heal other people are not usually the hateful type.

5. Ohhai

That's a good idea :slight_smile: you're very brave xxx

6. Californiacoast

I did the same thing with a time line exercise with my leadership class with the chamber of Commerce. In the timeline I showed a picture of my boyfriend and I at the San Francisco symphony. I was scared beforehand, but everyone was so nice. I was amazed and patted myself on the back. Of course, this isn't Mississippi, lol.

7. Holly

It's a really lovely idea! I'd definitely say go for it!

8. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say go ahead and do it! Coming out when you don't know anybody there is probably best, as you don't have to some out to friends who assume you aren't gay later on. It'd also help you find friends who don't care if you're gay.

You have massive courage for doing this though! Good luck!

9. Sardonic

I think its a good idea.

Even if things don't go well, we know that you have more balls than any of those straight guys. :grin: