1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to counsellor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LinkLarkin, Sep 10, 2013.

1. LinkLarkin

Hey,

I was just wondering how people go about coming out to medical professionals? I don't feel like I need to make a big thing of coming out like I would with a close friend, so I was wondering if it would be appropriate to just wait until relationships come up in conversation and then casually say boyfriend instead of girlfriend, but then if she considers sexuality to be an important part of the discussion then she might have expected me to say something about it rather than casually dropping it in? Sorry for sounding a little paranoid, I could just use some advice on this one. Thanks guys.

2. Ohhai

I came out to my counsellor... It was okay. She wasn't expecting it, but she was very supportive xx

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there's anybody you can come out "cold" to, it's your counselor. Because you can just say "I've never told you I'm gay. I don't know if that will change anything in anything we've discussed, but I figure I'd better tell you just in case."

Lex

4. DanD

I'm probably going to have to tell a therapist on my first visit on Thursday, and in all honesty it won't bother me in the slightest. The more information she has the better she'll advise on what to do, and as I have no idea who she is it doesn't feel like something to worry about.

5. biggayguy

I mentioned it while talking with my doctor about STD's. Now the counselor I came out to was... rude at best. He set me back a few more years in the closet.

6. DanD

What did he say?

7. magic

I just came out to mine even though it was the first time I met her

8. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Um,seeing you are 50,you must have done so years ago no?
    Counselors changed their practice and must do so by convention...

9. Pocky

Just tell them you're gay. They're bound by strict ethical guidelines which prohibit the disclosure of such information to anyone else. While they do have to report anything that could mean you or another person are in imminent, real danger, being gay doesn't fit into that category.

If you want the most out of counselling you have to be honest. If the counsellor has a problem then they shouldn't be doing that job and there are plenty of other counsellors who are compassionate and helpful.

10. Episode

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think if you're comfortable with your counselor, definitely! It took me 3 or so sessions before I unraveled the sexuality part, but only because I was convinced my counselor wasn't judgmental or religious. Since then she has kinda been the sponge to my 'gay-adventures' hahaha.

I hope your counselor is understanding, trust your instincts!