1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think it's about time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blaidd drwg137, Sep 10, 2013.

1. blaidd drwg137

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's about time to come out I just have a pretty strong feeling that 99% of my family and friends who are mostly conservative Christians are going to disown me. I'm really not sure what to do how how to do it or if it's even worth it. I hate lying other people and not being able to be myself. So slowly going insane

2. Sully

How old are you and are you financial dependent on family? Those are two important things from what I've gathered. If you're 14 and dependent, maybe it's not the best time to come out. If you're 25 and independent, I suppose there's no time like the present!

Who do you think you'll tell first?

3. blaidd drwg137

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    probably my ma

4. Sully

What makes you think they'll disown you? Another thing I've learnt from here is that people often surprise you.

5. cp90

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my parents about 4 months ago and they are very strong Christians. I'm a Christian too but it was and still is very difficult for them to understand being a Christian and being gay. I'm still in college and I'm still financially dependent on them, but thankfully they didn't cut me off. Things are really weird and awkward right now tho. If you decide to do it....just make sure you are prepared for what could potentially happen afterwards. Good luck!!

6. blaidd drwg137

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm about in the same boat as you cp90 still trying to get completely back up on my feet. my parents are very conservative Christians

7. penguin machine

Don't tell people if it will jeopardize the quality of your life and the feasibility of your plans for the immediate future. The most important person to come out to is yourself. Anyone else is on a need-to-know basis and people who would seriously contemplate destroying your life do NOT need to know until they no longer have that power. If they can't support you, and won't support you, it's not worth it.