1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be out at work

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just Jess, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Just Jess

Hi everyone,

So my out status on the left here is technically almost true. I am out to just about everyone, including the HR department where I work. But there are 3 people in my life, my co-workers, all of them male, seem pretty cool and open minded and reasonable, who I haven't officially come out to yet.

I know we always like to think it's possible they know, but in my experience I've always ended up hiding things better than I thought I did and it's always more of a surprise to people than I thought it would be. So I'm going to work on the assumption they just don't know about me at all.

What I'm worried about, is if I come out now, I may still feel like presenting as a man for some time. We work in an office building with several other businesses. And while I know I'm further along than when I first started - and I'm having someone get my biggest "giveaway", my eyebrows, next weekend - I still don't feel comfortable passing in broad daylight yet.

But I'm tired of having a secret still. Being out and me all the time is so amazing everywhere but work, and it's getting harder to switch back and forth all the time, emotionally and literally.

So courage, strategy, fashion tips, anything you want to throw against the wall to see if it sticks. But I want to be out at work. What do you guys think?

P.S. I know profile pic isn't very passable. It is about a month old and I feel like I do a slightly better job, but it's close to where I'm at right now. Be gentle, but honest.