1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telling family really that important?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silk, Sep 12, 2013.

1. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm ready to jsut come out at school, using the "do like everyone already knows" routine. I have 3 friends who know and support me a lot.
    Now, there seems to be a big fuss around telling your parents and brothers. So should I tell them first before just everyone? They will deffinitly find out after a while bu just acting the same as I would at school, and maybe hearing it or seeing it on facebook. I just kinda want to skip the awkward steps of personally telling someone, and just go for it, eveyrone can know.

SO, is it really that important? no one from my familie is homophobic or anything, it would be the conversation of: "I'm gay" and than "okay" or something. So yeah...

2. Evil Monkeyz

Well family is something kind of permanent, so if you tell them it could be a lot of help. So I'd probably suggest you tell them first.

There's a lot of other reasons too, Moms tend to prefer their children to go straight to them from my knowledge... Also your family can be a lot of help in the long run since you're kind of stuck with them. If someone else happens to try and put you down, they'll (hopefully) be there.

3. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, I just feel I don't need their help, I kindaz know it sohuld be better to tell them, just don't know how. It feels so weird.
    "Moms tend to prefer their children to go straight to them from my knowledge..."
    that's something that isn't true at all with my mom :slight_smile: She supports anything, I used to joke of like buying a pink T-shirt, and she is like: if you want it, take it.
    I jusqt don't know, maybe I'll just have to brows some comming out story's to parrents, get some ideas.

It just seems so awkward and weird to tell my mom "could you turn of the tv for a sec? just wanted to tell you I'm gay"
    everything also get's more coplicated knowing my twin brother is gay ... ( he doesn't know I know btw)

why can't it just be easy, just something normal like being a man or a woman, why the fus around it

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally agree - if everyone would stop assuming that everyone's straight until they say otherwise, we wouldn't have this issue!

Why don't you talk to your twin first? You could come out together and support each other. Just an idea, obviously I don't know what your relationship with each other is like.

5. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not something like: people who are gay wear like maybe a rainbow bracelet, but just to make it easy for people to see, and it would be normal, justl ike wearing a watch, or even wearing glasses, it's who you are or something.

About my twin, that won't really work, the relationship is complicated, everyone here always says that, but it's kinda not possible :grin:

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I'll start wearing bracelets like that, I'm sure other gay people would take the hint, lol! Or I could do blue-purple-pink (the "bi-flag" colours) :wink:

7. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well I've though of wearing one, cause I read on an other forum: to subtle tell everyone, were a rainbow bracelet, they will ask if you just suport HOLIBI or if your gay, and that would make for a good change of telling people.

I'm probably going to do that, now, where do I find a rainbow bracelet?

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2013 at 11:01 PM ----------

and yeah, I collected the curage to go all out at school, now need to start cllecting some more to tell my family ... I though I could have this all finished in like next week, maybe I'll have enough then.

8. Emberblaze

I hope your school understands the pride flag better than mine because everyone thought I was just wearing the rainbow because I liked it. Lols so now I have a hat with the two male symbols interlocked with a heart in between them and people get the picture much more. Got it off amazon

9. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the fact I do know is that they will atleast say something like "that's so gay" or "hy are you wearing rainbows, are you gay or something?" both in like a laughing fasion. But that will atleast give me a good change tell them: yes, I'm actually gay.