1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It didn't work then, will it now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by January, Sep 13, 2013.

1. January

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey there. So, well, I'm not sure where to start, I guess at the beginning?
    She was so lovely I couldn't breathe, she was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me, but she pushed me to tell my folks about us, she pushed so hard that one day at the tender age of 16 on my way to school with Mom I just blurted it out.
    "Mom. I'm a lesbian."
    I remember the silence, a screaming kind of silence, I remember the sound that broke it was the squeal of rubber on cement as she turned the van around and took me home. I remember the screaming and swearing, I remember watching my father cry and watching my mother, pale faced and shaking. I remember days of sobbing (pardon the obvious irony) in my walk in closet, trying to be quiet so they wouldn't ask.
    I remember her face when I told her it was over, and I remember the faces of my parents when I brought home a boyfriend.
    It's been 5 years, and my now ex-boyfriend isn't understanding why I've done the things I have, like cut off my beautiful long hair, moved into my own place, stopped plastering make-up on an already okay pretty face. We were fine he says, we were good, he was going to propose, we were going to buy our house, we got a puppy, we did everything but why, why can't it work? Why did I go?
    How do I do this? I made it all go away for everyone else, for my catholic family, for my tall handsome boyfriend, for my straight and narrow friends, for everyone.
    I met this girl the other day, she wants to meet for coffee, I can't wait, I'm nervous because she's so lovely I can't breathe.
    But if this is happening, if I let this happen, how will I tell everyone?
    It didn't work then, will it now?
    I'm so terribly lost.

2. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds your family is the problem. Cut them loose until they get their act together, if they respond negatively. That's how I've seen most people solve this successfully, and it's how I would do it. (assuming I don't live with my parents at that time)