1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexTheBlogger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. AlexTheBlogger

I'm a trans man and I am suffering from a hard dysphoria, specially because I still present myself as a girl to 98% of people I know.
    I thought a lot about it and came to the conclusion that I HAVE to come out at school next year or at least on 2015. But the problem is that I study at a strict catholic school and, if my mum discovers that I'm a transgender man, she will be so mad and disappointed!

What should I do? How to come out at school!

---------- Post added 13th Sep 2013 at 02:41 PM ----------

*at school?

2. babybop1224

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I guess you could just start off by telling a few close friends who you trust not to tell you mom. but i wouldn't advise telling everyone at school, especially if you are at a strict catholic school. Word will spread so fast and before you know it your mother will have heard about it. I honestly don't know what is best for you to do, but i was just trying to give you some options.

3. musicrebel

Telling your friends is a good start to coming out at school. If you're afraid of everybody knowing because it's a strict catholic school, I wouldn't recommend doing so until you're comfortable with those close-minded people knowing. Don't tell your mom until you're ready to tell her. I have a friend who's FTM and he's just telling his close friends that he's trans.

4. AlexTheBlogger

Hi, guys! Thank you very much for the advice.

I'm stuck between not coming out to anyone, coming out only to friends and coming out entirely.
    I know it's a stric catholic school, but my anxiety and depression have been getting worse because I can't be myself during 98% of time.
    My mum is a racist, homophobic and transphobic woman, but recently she has been saying supporting things about the LGBTQ* community. In addition, when she found my boxer briefs (I live with my dad but I accidentally brought one to her house) she said she would love me no matter what, that I could be whatever I want and feel to be and even asked me if I am trans. I pretended that I'm a straight cis woman.
    I really don't know what to do: my mum is manipulative and could be lying to me and I could suffer bullying on school, but if I don't come out entirely, I will kill myself slowly.
    I'm so confused...

5. lovely lesbian

Tell people you trust first and foremost and know that they won't tell anyone that you don't want to know yet good luck xxx

6. AlexTheBlogger

Thank you for the advice!
    But honestly, I don't really trust on my classmates and friends from school...

7. goldentony111

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Could you speak to a teacher

8. AlexTheBlogger

goldentony111: I don't know. Most of my teachers are very religious...
    But my Portuguese teacher seems to be the most open-minded person that works at my school and we're very good friends... Good idea, I could talk to him! Don't know how yet, but I could.
    Thanks for the advice!