1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out as bisexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Carol, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Carol

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey there everyone,

I posted this today because I've been wanting to tell my mom I'm bisexual. I've known forever that I liked boys, but I started liking girls more then boys. When i was 10 was the first time I tried to tell my mom that I was bi. That didn't go so well, she told me that I was too young and that I was out of my mind and she didn't talk to me for a week. I'm 15 now and ever since then I've still liked girls. I always believed that my mom would accept me because her aunt is lesbian but I guess not. The reason why I want to come out now is because there is a girl at my school who is lesbian, we talk all the time and when I try to tell my mom all she says is "Tell her you only like boys and she is making you feel uncomfortable." which isn't the case. I came out to 3 other family members who accept me, but I want to come out to my mom, can someone please help me?

2. biggayguy

Your mom may be testing you to see how firmly you believe that you're bi'. If you really are bi' nothing she can say or do will change that. Five years should be long enough to know if you like girls.

3. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From your perspective, you know your own mind, but parents get used to directing their kids and from your mum's perspective, you're still her little girl who needs directing. Maybe you could be like, "I love you, I will always listen to your advice, but I know how I feel inside and I will make my own decisions."

4. LILuke

I agree with the above. You have to just make it clear to your mom that this isn't a phase or something that's going to change, it's a part of who you are.