1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going against mom and fully coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 143kc, Sep 13, 2013.

1. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How bad do you think the consequences would be? Currently Im out to my mom, 2 friends, and coach. I really want to come out fully (yes, my school has some homophobic people, but for the most part the people I surround myself with are liberal and accepting), after telling my coach today (who was my best reaction yet), I feel as if fully coming out wouldn't be that bad. The problem is before coming out, I was very close to my mom... But after coming out (a month ago) we aren't as close and she still doesn't believe me. I love my mom so much and hate going against her wishes, because I know she only wants the best for me, but I feel ready. I like myself for who I am, and hate having to keep it a "secret". I don't like to flaunt my sexuality, but being able to casually bring it up would be my wish. I'm finally starting to feel "right" about myself, and want to keep it that way!

2. 2112

In this case, it isn't what's best for you, it's what she wants. If you're ready to come out, that's your choice. She'll accept it eventually. :slight_smile:

3. Ohhai

You've got to do what you feels best xx

4. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are you going to achieve by being 'fully' out?

What don't you have now, being out to the important people, do you hope to have by coming out fully?

Why is it considered 'keeping it secret' because you don't want to announce to the world you are gay? Keeping it secret would be not disclosing your sexuality if you are asked the question.

These are questions you really should ask yourself. I am not saying it is a bad idea because I don't know you, I don't know your family or friends, but all I am saying is you have to weight the pro's and con's....and yes, that does mean taking your mothers feelings on board when you are making this decision. Your mother is getting used to the idea. She is extremely worried about you and she just has not being able to accept that you are gay yet...that can take weeks up to months.

So outing yourself could also put your mother in a very awkward position :wink:

good luck.