1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to roommate who may already know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FishMan27, Sep 13, 2013.

1. FishMan27

I have a feeling my predicament is not unique, but I need advice for coming out to my roommate. We talked a lot on FB before moving in together, and we both have a lot in common. I've lived with him for two weeks now, and everything is going great!

I wanted to wait until he got to know me before coming out to him, and I wanted to have time to get a read on him, so I've waited until this point. He has a friend from high school who attends the same university as me, and he is gay. Obviously, my roommate is okay with gays.

He knows I feel strongly about human rights (including gay rights). Also, I wear either my rainbow wristband or rainbow ring daily, so he may have put one plus one together.

Yesterday, we had our roommate agreement meeting with our RA. Afterward, he asked me if there was anything I was dying to tell him. I said, "No," which obviously is not entirely truthful.

I want to be open about being gay in college, but I feel like my roommate should be one of the first to know. I've come out to plenty of people before, but this one seems harder (even though I know he'll be fine with it). How do I bring it up and tell him I'm gay?

2. Sully

'Oh hey man, by the way, when you asked if there was anything I wanted to tell you, kinda slipped my mind I wanted to tell you but I'm gay, hence the reason I'm all for human rights and shit like that'

3. If he sees your rainbow accessories, I think there's a good chance he already knows.

4. blueberrymuffin

He already knows. You should just get it out there in any way you wish so you can stop worrying. You might feel vulnerable cause you're literally trapped in a room together, but clearly he has no problem with it.

5. Britguy198

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I was in your shoes I'd in a conversation with him be like 'Oh, not sure if you know already but I'm gay'

6. FishMan27

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm assuming your all right in that he knows because of my rainbow gear, but it surprises me how few people know what the symbolic significance is. Or perhaps that's just the case in the small-town, conservative region of the country I grew up in...
    Anyway, I think I'll try to work it into a conversation, just as soon as I get over this awful cold of mine! haha

7. method

Yeah, sounds like he has a fair idea. Sending you courage to say the words!

8. blueberrymuffin

Yeah in small towns they might not recognize it. On a college campus though, the whole of point of that is to be identified as gay. If it's just to show support, there's "Ally" gear.