1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know how to handle this, please help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silver Rabbit, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Silver Rabbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am an Asian female from a very traditional household. I really want to tell my parents about my relationship with my girlfriend, but I realized it's not the best option. Whenever I've brought up the topic of homosexuality or even marrying someone outside of my own race my mom would freak out. The night before I asked my mom if she would discard me if I were homosexual and she said I wouldn't be "abnormal" like that because she raised me right.

Yesterday my girlfriend was driving me home and we almost kissed in the car on my driveway but she stopped because she saw my mom in the garage door. When I went in my mom had a complete meltdown. She told me all of this was "abnormal" and that I haven't just met the right fellow yet. She said if I cared about my parents at all I'd stop all this. She said I was being selfish.

Then she told me if I were gay she wouldn't want to live anymore. She told me she'd kill herself.

So then of course I denied everything and told her she saw things (which she did because we didn't even kiss). I'm panicking and don't know what to do. Please help me.

2. GirlWhoWaited

That is a pretty massive meltdown. I might hold off on bringing this to a head if you're under 18. Give your mom a little time to get used to the idea of it. Very traditional parents are tricky. Is it possible to find an example of a well-respected member of your culture who is/was gay? If you don't mind being more specific about your family's culture, I'd be glad to help you look. :slight_smile:

3. Ohhai

Oh Hun that's a really rough situation :frowning2: I have no advice just wanted to offer hugs xxxx

4. Van

Van

Your mom is the one who's being selfish. :dry:
    You should talk to her.

5. lovely lesbian

That is tough just sending u hugs xx

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone else said it depends how old you are as to what your next move is, but im sorry that you are going through that it must be really tough. I know someone else mentioned it but you aren't being selfish just try and be strong.