1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to extended family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by babybop1224, Sep 14, 2013.

1. babybop1224

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Although right now probably isn't the best time for mme to come out to my extended family, I know I will need to eventually. I've never been the kind of person to be quiet or keep my own secrets. i always have to tell someone, so not being out to my family just doesn't seem plausible. I don't want to have to dance arounfd important aspects in my life. Not everyone is going to approve and I get that, but I will not pretend I'm someone else. I should be able to be who I am. i believe that it's my right to love who I want and I shouldn't have to keep it quiet. If people don't like that, it's ok because i'm going to be myself. So i just wanna know how to come out to my extended family when the time comes. most importantly how do I tell my grandparents who "hate the sin, love the sinner". I love them so much and they are pretty much the only part of my extended family i couldn't stand to lose.

2. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents and siblings in an email (mostly because I don't live with them and partly because I was afraid that I would lose my nerve). In the phone call which followed, I told my mom that she was welcome to forward the email to my aunts and uncles. I made sure that the wording of the email was such that it was clear that I was comfortable with ANYONE knowing. I know that she did forward it so, I'm pretty sure everyone knows now.

I hate to say it but, I didn't really care whether anyone told my (very old) grandfather though I'm pretty sure someone did. I certainly wasn't going to. Though I love him dearly, we have very little in common and our conversations have been extremely short and labored the last few years (English is not his first language). We simply don't talk about stuff like that. I know many would disagree but I was comfortable with the idea that he might never know.

3. babybop1224

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for sharing your story with me. I definitley agree with you that I would be comfortable with my grandparents never knowing, because of the bond we share and I know how they will react.