1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out...Who should I tell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by metoo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey everyone,

So I am in a very unusual situation. I have come out to my family :icon_bigg, but I don't know what to do next. One might say friends. I know a ton of people my age, and I feel like I'm 'friends' with everyone at my school, but I'm not close to anyone. There is not one, two or three, people whom I would consider my closest friends. I just sort of mill around being nice to everyone and dealing with my own buisness. I made a really good friend last year, but she moved away. With everyone else at about equal 'closeness" to me I really don't know how to come out/who to tell, when.

I have considered just telling my family to tell whomever they want and then let the rumors trickle down (I live in a very small town so things get around fast.) and then not denying it. I have also considered dropping hints so people just kind of figure it out, and then not denying it. Or maybe like coming out to someone technically for the first time, but acting like a ton of people already know, and not making it a big deal. And then repeating. Or maybe just walking for the GSA parade float in front of the entire town. (That would be really obvious because there is only one other person in the club.)

Anyways, I would really appriciate some advice on this. I am so ready to be out, and I not too worred about the peoples reactions in my town, I just don't know how to break the new to everyone.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. RawringTiger

well be careful make sure your friends are nice and dont tell anyone and when you tell your family just make sure they are understanding and are happy for who you are and when your enemys (if u have any hopefully you dont) find out and they call u names just say thanks i know and ok.

3. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, luckly I don't have any enemys. No one dislikes me, just no one likes me enough to make an effort to get closer to me, but everyone thinks I'm nice and smart. And to be honest, I think that the easiest way for me to come out is by some people telling others. Because basically I have to skip the 'close friend' stage, and just go straight to the 'totally out' stage. I just don't know what the best way for me to do that is.

4. RawringTiger

Just use a your school announcement system to tell everyone

Jk but if you do TELL MEEE :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Haha..Yeah that would be funny:icon_bigg. But does anyone have some serious advice?

6. lukeluvznicki13

I would tell my friends first before my family.
    Advice - firstly, before you tell your friends, make sure that they:
    -are trustworthy and that they will keep your coming out to themselves
    -that they accept you for who you are and/or don't mind what your sexuality is
    To figure out what they think of LGBT's, give them one or two questions on it. Ask them, "what do you think about blah blah blah", and hear what they have to say :slight_smile:
    If there is positive feedback and they are fine with LGBT, well then it will be easier to come out to them :slight_smile:. If not, and they are your true friends, then still do so.

7. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the acting like it's already common knowledge idea, I've been considering it myself. Last night someone actually asked if I was gay (it was slightly relevant to the conversation) and I was like, I'm bi... little did he know he was only the third person I've come out to, I made it sound like it was just generally known, so he just took it in his stride with no reaction and carried on talking. I am hoping he'll mention it to a few people and spare me the trouble.

Or you could just pick someone nice and ask if you can tell them something - maybe you will get closer to them, a lot of people like to be confided in, it helps them to open up to you about their own stuff. Good luck whatever you decide :slight_smile:

8. RawringTiger

The people u trust send them a email,letter or text if you dont have courage to tell the in person or just tell them like this run away and shout to them IM GAY

9. Holly

Don't feel pressured into telling everyone - you don't HAVE to people, especially if you don't particularly want to tell them. Although I do understand your urge to 'finish' the coming out process.

Ultimately, I'd say it would be good to get a stable support network, and you've clearly started that with your sisters. Friends, if you feel close enough to them, are a really good way of getting support and helping yourself coming out to more and more people. It builds your confidence, and you know you can talk to them in the unlikely event that a coming out experience will be particularly bad.

I would definitely say come out to the people you care about personally. It's improved my relationships with people I'm already close to because I told them personally. Other than that, I'm adopting a similar attitude. Everyone else at school can just hear from other people. I'm open about it on facebook, but then again, I only really have people as friends on facebook if I'm rather close to them.

It's up to you!

10. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the advice. The problem is that I don't really feel close to them. To be honest, I don't really feel close to anyone right now. My older sister maybe, but does she constitute for a 'support system'? Last night I told my sisters and parents that they could start telling people. I don't know if that was smart or not. I really just want to be out. I feel so constrained. :confused:

@hitgirl: I think that the acting like it is already common knowledge is what I'll go with. Things get around fast in such a small town, and I'm just not close enough to anyone outside my family to go into the 'secret sharing stage.' So basically whomever I tell will tell anyone/everyone else. However, the one person whom I feel like would be a good start to the fuse is a devout mormon, so I don't really know how that will go down.