1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passive Agressive/Pseudo Supportive responses to coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EmilyLimbo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I don't quite know how to label it but some of the people I have been telling have been sort of passive aggressive/pseudo supportive. I tell them I am gay or queer and then go into this thing about how sexuality is fluid, no one is totally one or the other etc. ( which is true (for many people), but sort of a lame response to someone telling you they are gay). This is coming from straight people who have no idea what it really means to be gay and the level of discrimination that still exists. It is really irritating me. Perhaps I should not be so picky, but I feel like it is sort of disguised homophobia. These are the same people that tell me that it is a private thing (which is so easy for straight people to say when they don't have to be private about their lives) It reminds me of 'don't ask, don't tell' It is hard because I say they are not being supportive but are they?

Am I being overly sensitive?

Emily

#1 EmilyLimbo, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Split Arrows

I can get where your frustration is coming from. When people say these things they, usually, don't realize that they are being dismissive. It's been my experience that when people say the "wrong" thing after you come out to them, they are trying to make it sound like it's "no big deal". Basically trying to minimize the bigness of the situation but doing so with the best of intentions.

I hope I made sense, my brain is a bit fried right now.

3. EmilyLimbo

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Split Arrows, you did make sense :slight_smile: I get the sense that they are trying to make me feel less 'different' so have to appreciate that.

Emily

4. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

No you are not being too sensitive! I'm dealing w the same thing my whole circle of friends are all straight so they just don't get it. But I've been making friends at the local gay bar which is a lot of fun. When I tell my straight friends I've been there they give me a look like "whaaat?" Lol I wish they could be more supportive but it's like you said they are only supportive in a superficial kind of way. Maybe they just need time? Idk people don't realize their flaws