1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to breach the subject...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rachael222, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering coming out to the other girls who live in my house with me at university, but I have no idea how to tackle the subject. I hadn't actually realised how much straight girls talk about boys, ALL THE TIME. Needless to say I don't have a great deal to bring to those conversations, and so it leaves me feeling a bit put out and awkward. I feel like I'm acting a bit awkward around them in general as a result, and like I'm not able to relax which is pretty tiring.

Anyway, would it be unwise to come out so early in the year? I feel like perhaps it would be better to build a bit of a stronger friendship with them before coming out, but then again my feeling awkward doesn't make for the best foundations for doing this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you live in the same house for a while and THEN come out, if they turn out to be homophobic they'll think that you've been looking at them sexually for all that time that you've lived together and it'll be harder for them to accept your homosexuality. If you tell them from the beginning they'll love you for what you really are and even if they don't like it they'll eventually learn to live with it and will eventually accept it.
    Then again, if you barely know these girls it's a bit awkward to just come out to them. Maybe try throwing some kind of hint first, and judge by their reactions, I don't know. Best of luck.

#2 Carpe Noctem, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  3. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always feel, with new people I find it easier to tell them right from the off. I found that people at university were so open minded and accepting because of the vast array off different characters you come across. Therefore I found it easier to just tell them. Even before my closest friends back home!

Of course I don't know your situation that well. But it's entirely down to you! However, the sooner you come out the sooner it's done and you can start to relax and enjoy the rest of your year at uni. But only do it if you feel it's the right thing to do and you feel comfortable!

Sorry for the lame advice. I'm not great at this. But I hope it helps you somewhat. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and good luck with your year at university :grin: :grin: :grin: