1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age differences

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jenni7117, May 26, 2008.

1. Jenni7117

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it okay for someone is 20 to date someone who is 17? or is that morally wrong/illegal at all? opinions?

2. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on a lot of accounts, morally i dont know, i suppose it would be ok if they really did like each other and were commited, there have been much larger age gaps.

Leagally is a whole different matter. In the US it vaires from state to state, but in California the age of consent is 18. While its not illegal to date anyone across that so called magical gap, it is considered statuatory rape to have sex with a minor, because the state considers a minor unable to give consent. And also not that some areas have different ages of consent for gay sex.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's borderline, I think. The main issue, as said above, involves the legality of the whole thing. Also, at that age, it's less likely that both people are entering the relationship on equal footing - the older person will probably have more control or "sway" over the whole thing, and that can be problematic.

Lex

4. phobox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the two people are really into each other, then I dont see any moral issue with it at all. However the legality depends on your place of residence. Here in the UK the legal age of consent for both hetero and homosexuals is 16.

5. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    20 and 17. Borderline?? :confused2:

I think 18 and 15 would be the case that you described. The older person would probably have more control there.
    19 and 16 borderline, but 20 and 17 would be generally ok, in my opinion. Of course, for the most part it depends on the 2 people that are involved...

6. Tim

Tim

Personally, 20 and 17 isn't bad in my opinion. In a year it will be 18 and 21, which is bad in what way? If it was a few years earlier, then yes... 15 and 18 or 14 and 17 year old would be a bit messed up...

7. Jenni7117

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sweet, thanks guys!

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Well, he is 20 and I am 17, so I can relate to it (LOL) and guess what? I am happy with him and he is happy with me. We talk a lot a lot a lot and he respects me as much as I respect him, and he is such a sweet big guy I love, aww.

*coughs*
    It is totally ok.

9. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When he turns 18 it might be more acceptable. Not many people accept the whole age difference thing because it causes too many problems with family and friends. I'm in a relationship with someone who is older than me, if people have a problem with it, its their problem not mine. I'm happy in my relationship, I'm not out there to impress people or be accepted.