1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There is this guy I like, but I don't know if he is gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by therkilop, Sep 17, 2013.

1. therkilop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I've accepted that I am gay a while ago though it did take me a while. I'm a junior in high school and have a crush on a sophomore. I have one class with him and I don't know if he is gay or not. We don't usually talk, though I do feel...weird...I guess, being around him. Not sure if this is the best description. I'm not gay in a feminine way. I act like a normal guy. Hang out with both guys and girls. I really want to ask him out but I don't want to embarrass myself if he's straight. No one knows that I'm gay, so it would be shocking for a few people if they knew. I don't really want to tell him that I'm gay unless I'm sure he is gay or if I get in a really close friendship. I'm really confused on what to do.

2. ryanalexander61

Hi friend, and welcome.

If you have never spoken to him, and you have one class with him, why don't you try to strike up a friendship? I would advise against "asking him out" right away. Even if he is gay, very few people would openly date someone in high school.

I would try to get to know him first.

Best of luck,

3. Ian85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately, the desire to have no one know you're gay works both ways; if he is gay, he probably feels the same way. One of you is going to have to make the first move eventually. As per the previous post, striking up a friendship is a good way to start, and to test the waters. But eventually either you're going to have to tell him you're gay, or you're going to have to ask him if he is. Either way will probably blow your cover, and now he's got the potential to spread the news. It's a risk to try and date someone while in the closet, just be prepared.

I wish you luck, though!

4. penguin machine

"There is this guy I like, but I don't know if he is gay."

Story of my life bro. Story. Of. My. Life.

The best thing you can do is talk to him. If you're not going to try and earn him as a friend, you don't deserve him as a boyfriend. It's one thing to crush on a guy, but if he's receptive, it'll take a little time to build a connection. Dating someone isn't just about liking them, it should be about wanting to build something with them. So make him your friend first, and maybe someday, ask him how he feels about some LGBT issue, or what he thinks about gay guys.

My favourite coming out stories are always about to friends who come out to each other, at the same time, and start dating. So you never know what will happen :slight_smile:

5. Pat

Pat

Hey, it's a pretty common post here and my advice is typically the same. As scary as it may seem, it's very tough to out someone without outting yourself. The best technique here is to hint to him that you like the same sex if you don't want to just come out and say that you're gay. Given your ages, I'd say that's a safer bet for you if you're concerned with people knowing you're gay. You kind of have to become his friend first to even know if you want to ask. Hints for both of you to say you're gay without saying you're gay would be to speak in general when referring to being with someone. For example: I hope there's someone out there for me. Not some "girl" Most of what you need to know about him can be found out by being his friend. Then you can figure out if you even like his personality. If he ever asks you about your sexuality, just be as general as you can. A straight boy will almost always turn into an ADD person when you hint instead of saying things. It'll confuse the shit out of him if he's straight. And you can often see it all over their face when you confuse them by speaking in general about your attractions to others. Example. He says, "What girls do you like?" You can say, "Ehh.. I don't like any of them right now" He may leave it be, but he may also bite on it if he's curious. Now, just because you put the bait into the conversation doesn't mean he's biting on it because he's gay, he could just be curious to see if he's hanging out with a gay kid. Only way to find out is to become friends and then you'll find out what you want to know quickly and you might not even have to ask to find out. Good luck man, be careful. In any scenario, it'll take a lot of patience on your part with him to make sure that it develops into a good relationship, whether it be you coming out to him one day and him being straight, you don't want to burn bridges if you don't have to. He could be a really good friend, so always be patient and be respectful and equally interested in his well being as you are with your own.

#5 Pat, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  6. Werbinich

Hmm, your scenario is nearly congruent as mine.

When I was still in sophomore year, high school, I fell for a boy that I found cute and became friends with him, after some time, we became close friends and well...I became madly in love with him, like a schoolgirl (boy?). Now we're in junior year, and I finally came out to him. But before I could tell him how I feel for him, he blurted out that he already knew that I like him. Although he didn't have the same feelings for me, our friendship prevailed.
    Building a close friendship is important before you come out or tell the boy 'I like you', if you really have built a firm friendship with him, he would be your friend no matter who you are and, who knows? Your story might turn out even better than mine...
    Good luck!