1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by artsykay, Sep 18, 2013.

1. artsykay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Over the past year or so, I have seriously been questioning my sexuality, and have become pretty confident in the fact that I am gay, or at least bisexual. I don't really have a problem with being gay, but I am more concerned about not being sure, as I've never had a relationship with anyone, guy or girl. I have recently been really wanting tot talk to my best friend about it, because I feel like I really need to talk it through with someone and I am growing tired of pretending to be interested in guys. I feel like I really need to come out to someone, but am afraid to because again I just feel like I can't be sure about my feelings until I've had some sort of experience. I have no doubt that my friend will be fine with it, but I also have the problem of how to tell her. We go to different colleges, so I won't be able to see her face to face for a while and I'm getting to the point where I don't think I can wait that long anymore. We are both busy and I don't have much time to skype or call without my roommate being around. I would be most comfortable coming out over text I think at least for now, and it would be the easiest way logistically, but I feel like it's kind of a cop-out. I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to handle this situation, and anything anyone has to offer would be much appreciated!

2. Abbra

If you can't do it face to face, then it honestly shouldn't matter about the medium. Just have the conversation the same way you would over Skype, just with written words instead of spoken words. We are way too harsh with written words. Some of the most important conversations I've had in my life were done written down. Perhaps instant messaging over facebook or any other instant messaging program could match the more instant face to face contact that you need.

Also, don't worry about being sure. Even just having the "I'm confused" conversation can give you a hint about where your orientation is leading because the other person can offer important input.