1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out as bi or gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by valon, Sep 18, 2013.

1. valon

valon Guest

So, I'm planning on coming out to my sister and my best friend. I'm not really worried about how they'll react, because from what they've said about gay people, I just don't think they'd care either way.

But, I'm debating whether or not I should come out as bi or gay.

I am bi. But, I'm more like 85% gay and 5% straight.

So, although I am bi, I think I'd be happier with a man than a woman.

I think it'd be easier to come out as gay, because more people understand being gay, and I wouldn't really have to explain what it means. And, although I could see myself with a woman, I don't know if I'd be completely happy.

What should I do?

2. Empty Mirror

Hi Valon,

Personally, I think the question you have to ask yourself is, "Will coming out make myself feel better?" You have to put yourself in first priority in this situation. Don't force yourself to come out just to make a statement. Be careful and think it through completely before proceeding with any actions.

As for gay or bi, that is a personal preference on your choice. You don't have to label yourself as either one. You can just say what you've stated in the post. "I'm more like 85% attracted to guys and 5% attracted to girls" is fine. All in all, just be honest with yourself, but most importantly, protect yourself.

Best wishes :slight_smile:

3. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I used to use bi as a cover up then I realized I was gay Just be true to yourself and dont hide anything

4. Etak

Well, first I'd figure out what happened to the other 10%. Is it reserved for aliens? :wink: Seriously though, do whatever feels right to you. Only you can know what that is. Also, don't be in any hurry to come out. Feel free to take a little more time if you're still unsure.

5. Ian85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honesty is the best policy; I would tell them what you've told us. If you're worried about having to change your answer from "gay" to "bi" or "bi" to "gay" in the future, then let them know that you're still working on figuring things out, but you wanted to let them know where you're at and share this with them.

Or, y'know, tell them that labels are silly and that you might be dating a guy in the future or you might be dating a girl, but they shouldn't be surprised at either. :slight_smile:

6. LILuke

I agree with this. Be open and honest with your family, you don't need labels to tell them who you are. Just go out there and tell them. They're your family, so it's important that you make yourself clear so you're not just having this conversation again down the road. Good luck!