1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I proceed from here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Spirit

So, my summer goal was to come out to my dad. But suddenly it was September and I still hadn't said anything. But since then, I came out to a few camp friends, and my school's GSA. Which I think is good progress, and I'd really like to start thinking about being openly gay. But before I'm get even more sidetracked, I feel like before I can do that, I need to tell my dad. He's a great guy, he's on my side, and doesn't seem to be Republican/conservative. (If he was I think I'd know.) But the idea of it still scares me. I for real, was going to say something last week, but it turned out to be a really stressful week for all of us. (I got a surprise MRI.) So I figured that I shouldn't heap anything else onto that. I've felt 'ready' a few other times, but I've never gone through with it. And not to answer my own question but, I think I could tell him if I had one hell of a pep-talk.

But at the same time, I wonder if I have the wrong motives for being out to everyone. I feel like it's 50-75% of me wanting to be honest about myself, and 25-50% me really wanting a girlfriend. :icon_redf I've always been pretty lonely, and I feel like that might help. And it would diminish the crushes on my straight friends, that only end with me getting hurt. I feel really selfish saying that.

So what do I do next? Should I wait until my motives are a little clearer?

2. So lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in no position to b givin anyone advice because i cant even tell one of my parents you've already told but I was in a simular situation as you i decided not to tell my parents until I feel and know the time is right for them to know the truth.

3. HeyBeard

I hear ya sister! Coming out to your parents is a hard job. It took me nearly a year after coming out to my first person for me to actually tell me parents. The thing is though, depending on your parents, really no time is a good time to come out...at least that was my case. It just so happened that one day I was really being bothered by what people were saying at work, so I just straight up called my Mom and told her...just like that xD My Dad, on the other hand, found out by a text I sent, because he is one of those bible -humping conservatives haha. Yeah, it took him forever to accept it and didn't talk to me for a while, but it all rolled over eventually and now things don't seem any different than they were before. Your dad sounds like a great person to come out to! You guys already have a great connection, and who knows, telling him you're gay may even bring you guys close. One thing I know from experience, is that your father wants to be there for you no matter what, after I came out to my mom first, my dad was a bit upset that I never came to him to talk about things...merely because he made me uncomfortable about it. So yeah, I think you're in a great position to come out in all honesty! Sorry if this was a bit long haha, but good luck with your endeavors and let me know how it goes! *hugs*

4. Spirit

Thanks! I think at this point it's just a matter of getting myself psyched up to do it.