1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating without a label

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know there is people who don't want to or can't label their sexuality. It's not too bad not having a label most of the time because pretty much none of my everyday conversations have nothing to do with my sexuality.

I'm wondering how people without labels find dates. I know it would be pretty easy to find opposite sex dates. I just don't know how those people would find same sex dates. I know it helps to be out of the closet. It's kind of hard to be out when no label really fits me.
    I could just tell people that no label fits me. I think most people would assume I'm bi if I said that. I'm uncomfortable with that for some reason.

I also don't feel like dating guys. I've dated one guy and I didn't enjoy kissing him and being romantic. I don't know if it was him or all guys. Should I just say I'm a lesbian for dating purposes? I feel kind of uncomfortable calling myself a lesbian because I sometimes feel like I might be attracted to guys.

2. flymetothemoon

I don't think you need to label yourself to find dates. Would you feel comfortable saying you are a part of the LGBT community? If so, you can attend events planned for the community without giving any particular label to meet people.

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've tried going to the gay straight alliance at my school last year. It seemed like everyone already knew each other. I only chatted with one person and he was a gay guy. Maybe it will be better this year. I don't really fit in with the LGBT community anyways. Most of the people in the GSA seem to be very political. I'm mostly interested in nerdy stuff.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how many people would seriously care to ask your sexual orientation if you're dating them; it's usually the person with the "secret" who chooses to disclose. In my mind, I imagine myself saying something like, "Who cares?!" or, "I'm dating you, aren't I?"

If push comes to shove you can always tell them you'd prefer to stay away from labels, or are questioning/curious, though the latter might make them suspicious and think you're using them.

There's no requirement for labeling yourself when dating, unless maybe it's required for online dating sites? Again, unless they ask, it should be a non-issue... most guys would assume you're straight and most girls would assume you're lesbian, I think.