1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why most people come out fist as bisexual even through they are gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Sep 21, 2013.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just noticed that this happens A LOT, how is it?

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Because saying bi doesn't sound as bad as gay. It's like they are saying "I'm gat but it's okay because I still like girls".
    2) They are beginning to understand that thet arent 'straight' but haven't admitted to themselves that they are gay yet

Well I took my two best guesses

3. lukeluvznicki13

I agree with this ^ but also adding on, people may still be unsure of their sexuality and so they just say "Oh I am bisexual". This happens a lot and people may only realise a couple of years down the line that they are actually gay or straight :slight_smile:. However in most cases they realise they're actually gay.

4. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, and it seems in most cases it turns out they are gay but still cant accept that because somehow they have "feelings" or think they have for opposite gnder.. Its messed up. By the way I noticed that if a guy comes out as bisexual it turns out he is gay and if girl says that more chances are she's straight. Not all the time but it seems that way

5. blueberrymuffin

They probably figure heteros can relate on some level, that they too had one or two "crushes" on the same sex at some point, which might be true for all i know. I think it can be genuinely confusing though, not necessarily just a lie for some acceptance. For example, some i know settle on "biromantic homosexual" so at first they think they are really bisexual.

6. Ohhai

It appears that being bisexual is slightly more socially acceptable :/

7. sammy1

I don't know why anyone comes out as bi first and then gay later...to me it makes the fact that a person who is actually 100% gay less believable possibly causing people to think it was all just a phase...hope that made sense?

8. Jessica79

Exactly it I came out as BI to my brother and his girlfriend but I'm gay.

9. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most cases yes.. but in some countries if you are attracted to the same sex doesnt matter if you still love opposite you are a sinner :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2013 at 01:43 AM ----------

YEAH, I say to people Im bi if they want to know, because maybe if I would tell that I like women they will ask a lot of stupid things like why dont you like men? and you have to tell them that you like them but not that way and blah.., but now Im discovering that Im sooo strong really gay woman.. :lol:

10. RawringTiger

People that come out like that are probably thinking by telling people they are bi not gay they will think its easier cause they will say they like the opposite sex and not the same sex

:slight_smile:

11. Werbinich

So says the statistics: Hetro: 50%; Bi: 40%; Homo: 10% (okay so says what was written on my Health Education textbook)

Seemingly, being compared to being bi, being gay is a minority. And perhaps saying that you're bi isn't really lying....

Not that I could make any comments over because although I have assumed that maybe I'm bi a few years ago but when I am ready to come out, I am more than sure that I like boys as sexual appeal and girls as a enjoyable landscape (sorry girls....)

12. BudderMC

Statistically, it's about ~90% heterosexual, ~10% other. It largely depends on how they classify "bisexual", but those numbers from your textbooks are pretty far off.

13. HeyBeard

I agree with the above statements. I honestly came out a Bisexual first, even after I was 100% sure I was full Homo haha. It just seemed like it would be easier and slightly more acceptable at the time, but in all reality...if you like guys, you like guys haha xD

14. enigmeow

USA Bisexual Invisibility Report (2011) - http://www.sf-hrc.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=989

==

According to several studies, self-identified bisexuals make up the largest single population within
    the LGBT community in the United States. In each study, more women identified as bisexual than
    lesbian, and fewer men identified as bisexual than gay.

In 2010, a study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, based on a nationally representative
    probability sample of women and men in the U.S., found that among adults (5,042 respondents),3.1% self-identified as
    bisexual, compared to 2.5% as gay/lesbian

Sexual orientation in adolescents (Herbenick et al., 2010), While the sample size was smaller for adolescents
    (818 respondents), the split was even more striking: 4.9% self-identified as bisexual compared to just 1.0% gay/lesbian

Data from the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth based on in-person interviews with 7,643
    women and 4,928 men found that 2.8% of women and 1.8% of men identify as bisexual. By
    comparison, 1.3% of women describe themselves as lesbian and 2.3% of men as gay. It is also
    interesting to note that while behavior is distinct from identity not everyone who is attracted to
    more than one gender identifies as bisexual the study also found that about 13% of women and
    6% of men reported attractions to both women and men.

#14 enigmeow, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While there are absolutely a portion of the population who are genuinely bisexual, a lot of people, when they first come out, identify as bisexual, most likely because it is part of their process of accepting the "loss" of being straight (stages of loss: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.) So "bisexual" is bargaining: "Well, I'm a guy who likes guys, but I still like girls too, so when I eventually settle down, it will be with a girl."

It's a way of coming to terms with who you really are without giving up who you thought you were.

16. Split Arrows

This kind of thing really upsets me. When people who come out as bisexual as a way to "soften the blow" it just fuels a lot of the biphobia out there. Such as when Dan Savage has said in interviews, "if a man comes to me and says he's bi, I reply 'That's nice, talk to me in 5 years when you're actually ready to come out'".

17. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2013 at 10:18 AM ----------

In most cases its true.. like when woman say she is bi, all people say she is in a "phase" and she is straight. When bi guy says that they see it as something weird, maybe have something to do with macho men picture in society.., because they see if a guy likes guys he is gay and you can say you like girls all they hear is you like guys.. its messed up, people sometimes cant understand it :eusa_doh:

18. All41

I didn't realise I was gay until this year. For the past 2-3 years I though "oh I'm bi." Discovering your sexuality takes time.

19. StormySea

It's just easier for people who are close to you and already have opinions of you to understand. Coming out as bisexual plants that seed and weans others into thinking of you with a member of the same sex without totally braking their set opinion of you with a member the opposite sex. A lot of people also use the bisexual card when coming out if they're uncertain about their sexuality themselves, so then if they get together with a member of either sex, it's not going to create as many waves as coming out being on polar ends of the orientation spectrum.

20. aznboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To be really honest, I think there's some holdover from a previous generation. I think we'll see more and more people who are completely gay just come out and say they're gay. There's less and less stigma. OTHO, I hope that means that those who are actually bi and say they are bi will get more respect.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2013 at 01:30 AM ----------

Also, I find it very insulting when people in the LGBT community say stuff like "We believe bi's exist, but the number of real bi's is really, really small, and if you say you're bi, you're probably lying or just in denial."

So much for empathy and solidarity.