1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering coming out to my sister...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DeepCover, Sep 22, 2013.

1. DeepCover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At the moment the only person I've came out to is my therapist, and I have no intention of publicly coming out anytime soon (I have a lot of stuff to deal with atm, outside of the closet issue). However, I am considering coming out to my sister. But I don't know if I should, or if I really even want to at this time.

For the record, me and my sister are very close. She's 3 years older than me, but we've always been great friends, since we're pretty similar. I know that she won't care about me being gay... if anything she'll probably claim that she 'knew it' and will be happy about it. However, I don't know if I'm ready to tell anyone just yet. As I said earlier, I've got a lot of stuff to deal with at the moment, and I've kind of been putting off the whole gay issue. I know it's a big issue, and is definitely one of the contributing factors in my overall situation, but I don't feel like it's a pressing issue right now. I just realised how vague I'm sounding, but basically I've got a lot of issues with self-worth and paranoia at the moment, issues only partially dependent on my sexual orientation, and I don't feel I'm ready to tackle the 'big one' yet.

So yeah, I'm not sure if I want to tell my sister just yet. I feel like it's taking a step in a direction that I'm simply not ready for. Plus, I can't really rely on her for emotional support at the moment. If I was still living in my hometown and could see her often, then yes I would be more inclined to tell her. But living 4+ hours away from home, I only ever get to contact her via sms, fb or when I visit home.

Basically, I'm not sure what to do. I honestly don't know what I want to do. But I'll be heading home in a few weeks during my mid-semester break (mid-sem break 9 weeks into the semester, because fuck logic) and I may tell her then.

2. bscott92

It sounds like she is probably a good person to tell. And you're going to feel better after you do. All the other "stuff" you're dealing with will seem a little bit less daunting after you get this giant weight off your shoulders. Once you've gotten to the point where you're debating whether or not to tell, it's time to tell.

3. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    At first it you always put it off because there's a lot of other things to deal with. And in comparison to other issues, it doesn't seem so important. But it's a lot more important than you think. I didn't tell anyone I was bi until one of my friends told me he was gay. I was so happy I finally had someone to relate to. Then he started coming out. And it wasn't fair for him to tell people and for me to keep quiet. So I came out to my brother and then to my closest friends and things really did start to look up. So even if it's just your sister and you don't see her often, it feels great to just tell someone. At first you get really nervous but it gets easier over time. So I think you should tell her. :slight_smile: