1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grawr. -.-

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LOVEjames, May 28, 2008.

1. LOVEjames

So I'm dropping out of high school to get my GED (the equivalent of a high school diploma), and I'm studying to take it this summer. I'm also learning Spanish because I've noticed that a few schools I've been interested in require a second language if you're applying with a GED, and Spanish is the easiest language to learn, in my opinion.
    But the thing is, my grandmother is insanely against it. Like, she isn't stopping me or nagging me that badly, but she's just telling me how I'm constantly giving up on things and all I do is sit on my ass at home. I'm like, "Yeah, I do. I'm studying for the GED and practicing Spanish" - which I am. I mean, I'm not exclusively on test prep sites or having my nose in a book, but I do do it. I just don't think that she really understands that I can do things on the computer.

-.- Writing that out, it all seems so inane. But I think it might have some sort of value.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might help her if you can show her how much you're preparing. Can you have her quiz you a couple times on some things? That might show her you're serious about it.

And as a GED tutor, let me just give you one word - fractions.

Lex

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I'm not sure if you were looking for some opinions but here it goes....

Not to sound harsh, and I don't have all the info but I think it would be a bad idea if you drop out of high school in particular when you have only one or two years left. If you are interested in learning Spanish and you know that it will help you with getting into schools (I assume colleges?), can't you take some Spanish classes at your current high school?

Finishing high school in an actual class room might be better as it still gives you a 'structured' way of learning which is very important for doing well in your future endeavours in particular when you want to go on, unless you plan to take all your courses on line in the future. Considering the competitiveness in today's job market I would not recommend online classes because having gone through actual classes and what not helps to highlight that you have time management and organizational skills (very important in conjunction with all the other skills). It will also prepare you job wise, in that you will learn certain routines that will help you. Trust me!

If it is the case that you have given up on things in the past (and again I don't know the whole story), maybe a teacher can help you in the right direction in terms of interests and what you want to do. It sounds that you are motivated in doing what you are planning to do which is great, but remember that once we are at home home it is too easy to get carried away with other things and we end up not doing what we are supposed to do. Sometimes we do need that little push to get back on track...

So yeah, this my little advice on it...but of course it is up to you what you want to do and it is important that you feel happy with it

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

And for the spanish part, drop me a PM, I can gladly help :slight_smile:
    I think you will do just fine. When she sees that you're very serious about it she will calm down. right now focus, m'dear! :slight_smile:

Good luck :grin:

5. LOVEjames

I'm actually learning Spanish through a podcast... it's not that bad. But the only thing I'd really need is how to write it. I'm fairly good with languages and stuff, so it won't be that hard, but I'd need the technicalities.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it might be good to know why you're dropping out of high school. Not that you can't pursue your dreams without a high school diploma but with a GED, you are going to have to work harder to prove yourself if you ever want to do more schooling.

Is your school particularly bad? Are you getting harrassed? Do you just not learn well in a classroom environment?

People actually have a wide range of learning "styles," as it turns out, and for a lot of people the traditional educational approach of being dictated to by a teacher where you are basically "the audience" does not work terribly well, which I think is probably a big part of the problem lots of people have with school, because most Western schooling is very much done in that mode. So if it's something like that, and given that you're in a big city like Seattle, it's probably quite possible to find an alternative program where they can maybe tailor the material more to how you learn best.