1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad thinks I'm gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ember, Sep 24, 2013.

1. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So apparently my dad's been suspecting things abut me for some time, and today he told me he thought I was gay. So he started talking away about how he figured some stuff out, and I wanted to tell him the real thing that was bothering me, that I'm trans, but then he started sounding all homophobic. Like, "Life is a lot easier if you're straight." and "People say that being straight or gay is symetrical, but they're really not." I got afraid to tell him this thing, but since I backed out, now he thinks I simply am gay, and it's bothering me. Now I don't even know how to tell him the real things that are bothering me.

2. Passing regret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would endeavor to straighten that out with him. It doesn't seem like he flipped or anything so I don't think he should react that badly to you being trans. If I were you, I'd get it out of the way now rather than have to bring it up again later. Good luck! Let us know how everything progresses!

3. campervankid

obviously I don't know because I wasn't there, but what if he wasn't being homophobic, just trying to tell you that he understands it can be more difficult for the gay community at times? - since he thinks you are gay. If it is bothering you then you should talk to him, I know it might be difficult but be brave :slight_smile:. Or if you really feel you cant, then why not talk to someone else about it like your mom.

4. Ohhai

Hugs xxx

5. MJM09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm like you, in the fact that if you know somethings not right, you have to sort it out straight away. If it bothers you that much, just do it (says me, who's only out to three people). Like others have commented, it's probably better to do so sooner rather than later. I would get as much support from others as you can first and, if those people can, have them by your side for support when you think you're ready.

6. TorreyGlory

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh dear. I'm sorry it didn't go so well for you.

It's possible that your dad's remarks were just a ham-handed attempt to relate to you. I guess the upside is that he won't be shocked when you do come out (or maybe he will?). Has he ever said anything truly hateful, such as "they are disgusting"?

I wonder if it would be easier to write him a letter.

7. Momosboy

Have faith, young one. He'll find out, and he'll accept you. Hopefully. I'd invest in puberty blockers if I were you.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that. Going according to your 'out status,' could you not enlist the help of your mum, when you try talking with your dad about being transgender? How supportive is your mom?

Reading in between the lines, and as bad as what your dad mentioned sounds, it is possible that you see his fears about your safety talking more than anything else. Parents have a certain idea about how life is going to unfold, and once that idea does not hold true anymore, they have to find something else to hang onto.

One way to approach it would be to talk with him about how important it is you, that you feel comfortable in your skin, and be open about your feelings.