1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you feel this way?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheStrongestLink, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Your answer

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. My family wouldnt accept me

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. TheStrongestLink

Did you ever fear coming out to family, yet know that they were going to accept you no matter what?

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could feel this way. My family is strictly against being homosexual. My sister and cousin are the only two people in my family that know. My sister was more hurt by the fact that I never told her. She had to find out. My biggest fear is telling my mom. She thinks I'm crazy about guys and she loves how we have the same taste in men. I feel like she would be extremely disappointed.

3. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I correctly assumed my mother wouldn't accept me and my father would. I wasn't completely sure about him, but sure enough to tell him. My mother read my mail and told him earlier, so he already knew when I told him. So, I can't answer your question. I suppose I still would have been nervous even if I thought they'd be okay with it, but I don't know.

4. FightingShadows

I had gone back and forth. There were times I thought my parents would and times I thought they wouldn't. I talked to my cousin A LOT about it. She helped me and assured me in the months leading up to the day. And yes, today they accept me, they just don't understand it...

5. newfish

Yes, I definitely feel this way. I know for sure my sister would accept me, I think my mom would because she's directly asked me, and I know my dad would at least be okay with it. I'm pretty sure he has no clue, though, because he still gives me tips on getting women. Even knowing that they'd be fine, the idea of coming out really scares me because of just the idea that not the whole family accepted it.

6. Emulator

Most of the time. Sometimes I feel like I will never come out completely to anyone, or even come out at all. Well, I did, but partly.

7. prism

Yes, terrified. My older sister came out to my parents years before I did and they were supportive. For me, it was more about the prospect of raising more than one gay child and how our community would perceive my family.

I still have two siblings (one of which is gay) that I have not come out to.

8. sammy1

Yah I feel like my parents would accept me but I'm just scared to come out to them probably because I don't want them to see me in a different way if that makes sense?

9. LinkLarkin

This is pretty much true for me as well.

10. sammy1

Oh and they probly dont understand homosexuality all that much. So If I were to come out to them one of these damn days I would probly try to explain it to them

11. Siarad

My parents would be entirely accepting of me but I know that my Mum would be sad for me, she has said before that it is sad for parents to find out their children are gay because life is harder for gay people. I think my Dad would be fine with me being gay but I think he would find it very difficult if my brother was gay, Dad makes a show of being very tolerant (which is better than thinking intolerance is OK) but I think he has residual instincts from attitudes towards gay men from when he was growing up. He has commented in the past that he finds it very strange that my brother posts lots of stuff about fighting homophobia (which my brother actually does not because he's gay but because he's the only family member who knows about my sexuality) and I have to point out to my Dad that he marched against Enoch Powell and other racists in support of black people even though he is not black himself, so how is my brother's support of gay people any different to that?

12. BiPenguin

I have not come out to them. Not because I fear a bad response but because we already don't like each other anyway. Those of whom are supposed to be blood line where I grew up I do not relate to as being 'My Family'.

#12 BiPenguin, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. Werbinich

With my mom being a conservative Christian and my dad a conventional person I don't think so

Though one day they would have to know that they're not getting a daughter in law but perhaps a son in law...if possible.

...dreading the moment when I finally had to let go. (The Hunger Games)

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Ditto. Eventhough you know they'll accept you, often it will change their perception of you, since most parents assume their children to be cisgendered heterosexuals. (Unless they already suspect of course).

16. Sully

Urgh, that's like my friends. I know it will have changed their perception of me, but none of them have really brought anything up! A little bit of questioning coming from them would be nice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for the OP's question. YES!!!!! YES!!!! AND YESSSSSS!!!!! I know my family won't particularly care BUT I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!!

17. ianm

ianm Guest

(*hug*)

18. Colours

I personally always find it hard to come out, whowever it is, regardless of how sure I am that they'll be accepting. I can never really tell what about it makes me worry. I have yet to lose anyone, so... it's odd.

19. Skyline

I answered yes but I've only come out to my mom and her side of the family, and I only feared doing it a little bit. Mostly I was just nervous.

20. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I told my mom thinking that maybe she would accept me, but she is still in denial... And it's been 2 months...