1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out to Dad or brother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by purplekitty, Sep 25, 2013.

1. purplekitty

I'm not sure who to come out too first. I'm thinking either my dad or my youngest brother. Let me lay out the situation for each person and then maybe you can give me advice. Please?

With my brother, it could be pretty simple. He's only 10 and is pretty open minded. I think I actually came out to him a few weeks ago indirectly. I was talking about this cool test that I took that is supposed to tell you what gender your brain is. It was like an IQ test but for gender. Anyway, I told him that when I took the test, I was right in the middle of male and female because I have some qualities that are considered female and some that are considered male (like being more emotionally driven but having great spacial skills). So I think I already indirectly told him that I'm agender. And I even said (because I'm a blabber mouth) that when the test asked me to look at men or women to discover what features I am attracted to in my preferred gender, that I took the test for both genders just to see what the results would be. So I may have indirectly told him I'm bisexual too. But I don't know if he actually got the message because I realized in time what I was saying and then changed the subject because oh my gosh my mouth was betraying me! So should I come out to him more directly? When I do come out to him, maybe I could bring up the test again and then explain what it means to me, using the terms agender and bisexual? I'm just wondering how specific I should be.

I'm starting to think that my dad would be a better start, even though he would be more complicated, just because he could probably help me come out to other members of the family. He is a very liberal person. He definitely believes in equality for everyone, and has even told me that he has had some gay friends before. He also said that if any of his children had issues with gays having equal rights he would have a serious talk with them. And I talk to him about most of my problems, so he won't be surprised if I suddenly want to talk about something serious. But I'm still nervous about telling him. I mean, this is a very personal topic for me. And what if he asks me questions? Should I prepare some note cards with my main points to make sure I cover everything? I feel like this would be a good idea, since I'm not very good at thinking nonaggressivily when I feel like I have something to defend about myself. But I don't know what to say. I think he may have guessed some of my identity if he's been paying attention to that kind of thing over the years. But I have no idea how much. Or he might be totally oblivious and I'll have to explain everything from scratch. Also, I have no idea how much to explain. Maybe I should just assume he knows nothing? And I don't know which topic to start with first, my gender identity or sexual orientation. I feel like the gender one might be easiest to explain, so I should probably talk about that first.

Okay I'm going to stop typing now because I'm talking a lot and I don't want to overwhelm you with questions. I hope you can give me advice on what to do. Thanks a bunch!

#1 purplekitty, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Ohhai

You're dad sounds like a good person to start with :slight_smile: or you could do your dad and brother together? Xx

3. LILuke

I would probably start with your dad, while it might be harder than your brother I think it'd be best to start opening dialogue with someone who actually understands the full nature of the matters you wish to discuss. No disrespect to your brother, but most ten year olds are just too young to really 'get' all of that.

4. purplekitty

Thanks for the response! The more I think about it, the more I think that my dad would be a good choice. I guess I'll come out to my younger brother next, and then figure it out from there. Baby steps!

I'm mainly wondering how much I should explain to him. I've done lots of research on gender identity and sexual/romantic orientation, although I'm definitely not an expert. But I don't know how much he knows about the subject. I might have to explain a lot of ideas from scratch. This whole coming out thing just makes me really nervous because of all the stuff I've read on here that I should prepare for. I'm starting to feel like I'm over-thinking things!

5. LILuke

The one thing I can remind you of is the fact that you are one hundred percent in control of when, where, and how you want to come out to your father. Take your time, prepare ahead, and make sure that when you do tell him it is in a manner and place that you are comfortable with. Don't think that you have to rush into telling anyone before you're ready - this is completely up to you at your own pace! :grin: