1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you date the same sex when you don't have a label?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can totally understand how unlabeled people can date the opposite sex. Most people assume they are straight, so it would be the same as it is for straight people. I cannot understand how same sex dating would work. You can't really come out if you don't have a label. I don't really understand how closeted people date in the first place. I am pretty much closeted so I don't understand how I can date. I cannot come out unless I can find a label. I think being closeted is making me depressed and not letting me get more experience. And my lack of experience and depression is keeping me confused. I'm in a catch 22. Should I just pretend to be a lesbian that's sure of her sexuality? I've come out as bi before, but it felt wrong.

#1 ChromeNerd, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. LILuke

You don't need labels to be with someone you care about. If you like them and they like you that's what really matters. Of course, keeping thins secret might not work for the other person, but if the only thing stopping you is the lack of a label then just tell them [if they ask] that you're still searching for a label you like. :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

3. Siarad

Sorry not to be able to make a supportive comment but I'm still stuck on how you date the same sex fullstop when the ratio of straight-gay people is so uneven. I only know about seven lesbians that I know of, six of them are in couples with each other and I don't fancy them anyway and the seventh I do fancy but she is taken. How people ever meet people of the same sex and build successful relationships with them is totally beyond my ken!

4. Lewis

You just do. Love is love!

5. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Look up Bria and chrissy on youtube. When they got together, Bria was sure of her sexuality and chrissy had just started thinking about possibly dating girls so she went to a gay bar.... And there they met. For a LONG time (over a year), chrissy was unlabeled (recently she came out as a lesbian). You don't need a label as long as you love the person you're with!

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't like the label 'bisexual' either as it's got a lot of negative connotations in our society. However, I eventually realised that just because I didn't like the meanings society had put onto the word 'bisexual' that it didn't mean the true meaning, someone who is attracted to men and women, wasn't me - I'm attracted to men and women, therefore I am bisexual. I prefer 'bi' though - I don't like announcing anything 'sexual' about myself! This may not be you, but just thought I'd share in case it was.

Have you heard of pansexual? If not, maybe look that up, it's slightly different to bi - the downside is most people haven't heard of it so you might have to explain what it means if you decide that is you.

Another possibility is bringing up into conversation that you don't like to label your sexuality - that would put across that you are open to same sex relationships. But it might be too subtle for some people.

7. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Who says I'm bisexual or pansexual? I'm still not sure if I like guys enough for a relationship. Part of the problem with coming out as bisexual will be the expectation that I will end up with a guy and like guys the same way straight girls do. That may not be a problem for girls that are mostly into guys, but it is for me. One thing I know for sure is that I like girls and I don't like guys the same way straight girls do. When I was younger I noticed my lack of attraction to guys before my attraction to girls.