1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over Skype

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by troubledinchina, Sep 26, 2013.

1. troubledinchina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. I have some questions about coming out over skype. Has anybody done it? How did it go? Why did you choose to do so?

The reason I am asking is is because I am currently traveling in China. I have been here for the last 2 months and I am not coming home (to Europe) until summer next year. I have always been completly closeted in my hometown and nobody even suspects i am gay (as far as i know). But when i first came to china i decided that it was time for a change and I have been out to all new people i have met here. Everyone here seems totally cool about and i have even met a really nice guy. Thing is, i really want to tell my family. I feel like it is the right time and I am ready for it.

Seeing as they live across the globe it would be impossible to do so in person, which i would have preferred. I talk with my family once or twice every week and i feel we are somewhat close still even though we are in two completly different places. So my main question is if I should wait until i get home (which could be 7-9 months) or if I should tell them over skype...

I am really hoping someone here has some good advice seeing as I am completly torn and don't know what to do.

Thanks for reading my long rant lol and this website has really helped me come to terms with myself so thanks everyone (even though i dont know you)

2. LILuke

For me personally, I would not want to come out to somebody close to me over Skype, because I feel like it's the sort of thing I ought to do in person. That being said, my situation is obviously a lot different than yours. Given the length of time that you're going to be so far away from your family, I think that Skype might be a useful tool if the time comes during the next several months when you want to come out. It's certainly better than a phone call. :slight_smile: