1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An awkward situation time wont fix

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by follower12, Sep 26, 2013.

1. follower12

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey everyone,

So I'm a 21 year old male college senior. About half way through college I came to the conclusion that I was bisexual. I was really torn up about coming out or not telling anyone. I have finally came to accept that I'm bisexual and have gained a lot of inner strength and peace of mind. As I'm in my last year of college, I have a lot of friends and no one knows I'm bi. I have no idea how I could even begin to tell people I'm bisexual without just throwing it out there randomly.

I originally decided to keep it to myself until after college (I'm a private person in general) however my roommate has been suspicious and asked me one time if I was gay when we were really drunk. I said I was bisexual but was really hesitant because I hate labeling myself as anything (I went to Rutgers when one kid killed himself when videos went viral proving he was gay so since then I don't throw labels on anyone unless they use it for themselves). She never brought it up again so I'm not sure if she remembers or not.

Anyway, so I want to come out now and just finish my college life not hiding anything, but at the same time I have become so comfortable with my life as is. My suspicious friends are very respectful and would never ask me outright if I was gay/bi but my roommate has said when drunk that the feeling I'm hiding something from her makes her feel like she is a bad friend. On the other hand, I don't think my family would be all that hurt by me coming out. Probably not be great at first, but at this stage in my life if someone doesn't accept me for whatever reason I don't give much attention to it.

In short, by not coming out I'm hurting my friends and myself, and by coming out I will probably become happier but the awkwardness/extreme discomfort will probably last until I graduate in 9 months and later into my post-grad life around my family.

2. Mister Gaga

The funny thing about coming out is that you never know how it is going to turn out.

I came out to plenty of people around me. It sure feels awkward to randomly bring it up for the first time, but time DOES make things better, and I can now talk about hot guys with some friends that I've never thought I would.

But, I still didn't come out to family, so I can't give you advice in that field.

Good luck though!