1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What age do you think is good to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BearLover, Sep 27, 2013.

1. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 20 at the moment so I don't think it's a good time to come out to any of my friends, most people I know look at bisexuality/homosexuality in a bad light and they'll take the piss out of me for being bisexual, I doubt they would have a big problem with it but whenever you have an argument with someone that is one thing they'll use against you. I couldn't tell my mum as I know she has a loud mouth and her friends are a bunch of losers that will have a bad attitude to it and they won't understand. A lot of people around around me are just acquaintances and I think there are only a few people I could trust not to use it against me, I have only a few true friends. When you talk to someone one to one they are usually nice and understanding but when people are around others they act differently to show off, they usually put me down about somethings or start mocking me, telling them that I am bisexual is just asking to be criticized. I think when I get older maybe people will become more understanding, homsexuality and bisexuality are slowly becoming more accepted in society but I don't think we've got their yet especially when their are a lot of people that lack understanding and try to be controlling, especially in the UK. Even if people understand it and are OK with it, I think they will tell someone about it, but I guess I've just got to accept that. I'm bisexual so I could get away with hiding it if I find a girl I like, people will only need to know if I want a relationship with a man. I am not going to tell any friends yet, I still think there is a lot of immaturity among brits at my age.

The worst thing is that I can't even tell my crush that I love him and I'm %90 sure that he's in love with me too, he's my boss so it's risky.

It's hard enough telling people you like men, try telling someone that you're interested in old men...

#1 BearLover, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, you can come out at any age you feel comfortable doing so, but I recommend coming out as soon as possible, as it makes things a lot easier. Especially later on.
    First get your boss's opinion on LGBT people before coming out to him.

3. GayTornado

There really is no 'good' age, I started coming out when I was 12! You should come out when you are comfortable with your Sexuality, you are in a safe environment and if you are financially dependent on someone (eg. Parents), make sure that they have a positive view to the LGBT community. If they aren't, I would come out after you become financially independent.

4. lukeluvznicki13

You can come out whenever you want!
    But you should keep in mind:
    -that you're very sure that that is your actual sexuality
    -that you feel comfortable and confident within yourself to come out
    Don't just come out because you feel like you need to, do it in your own time :slight_smile:

5. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    In my idea of a perfect world, nobody has to come out, considering Sexuality is a purely subjective thing and is different for each persons, therefor why should people be weirded out by something as petty as homosexuality? Unless of course.. .they are UNCOMFORTABLE! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNLNLNLNLNLNLNLNLLNLNLNLNLNLNLN!

Anyways, jokes aside; I for one do not think age should matter in this world where having to tell people is necessary for your attractions.

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say, I think the UK is actually pretty good for equality. I read an article recently that said we're pioneering gay rights in Europe. That said, our equality laws (equality act 2010 - look it up if you don't know it) don't always reflect people's attitudes and it sounds like you're surrounded by narrow-minded people. Why not start by trying to expand your social circle to include people who are likely to be more supportive?

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have said it better myself

8. Hey, nothing wrong with getting friendly with your boss :wink: Anyway, I think age is irrelevant, it's more about environment. How about you tell some of your closer friends? If they're really your friends, they won't mock you about things like this. By the way, I came out this past year while I was living abroad, and all of my British friends were very accepting. Hell, one of them hooked me up twice lol I think it's time for you to start considering coming out, you never know who or what will come your way. What if you have another male crush and you feel like you can't pursue it just because of your friends? Besides, there's an advantage to being queer: when you come out, you find out who your real friends are, and you stop wasting your time with the fake ones.

9. biggayguy

There comes a time when you just have to let the chips fall where they may. You will always be able to find some excuse to stay in the closet. Now is the time to live as a free, bisexual, man. If people take piss out of you for being bisexual are they really your friends? Denying your attraction to men is not worth it. I tried for decades. It led to frustration and loneliness.

10. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I waited until I was 21 before I came out to people. I guess I just never felt comfortable or ready doing so up until then. I think you know yourself when you're ready to come out. I know I did. It just hit me one morning when I woke up like "yes I'm finally ready to start being myself". You will know when the time is right!

11. kwyjibo

I know a couple of people who came out at 12, one at 13/14 and one at 15. I'm 15 and only out to a couple of people. When I was 12 I was vaguely aware that I wasn't straight, but I wasn't about to come out to anyone.

There isn't really a right age, just what feels right for you.

12. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This sounds like a cliché, but age has nothing to do with it, it's about how ready you are. The attitudes of the people around you doesn't seem like anything to do with what age you are, there's always going to be people who think bisexuality isn't a thing and that might even get worse with age. If you don't want to come out right now then don't, that's fine, but just know that if people are being assholes then you don't owe them this information about yourself.
    Personally, I don't consider myself to be in the closet, but I never "came out". I don't think my parents would understand, and it wouldn't make any sort of positive difference if I told them. I'm not lying to them because we never talk about personal stuff anyway. As for other people, I know people will either ridicule me or put me in a box if I say I'm bi, if they really want to know then I tell them, but I kind of like having people in the dark about who I like because that means they can formulate their own thoughts about me without being 100% sure and can base their opinion of me on other things.
    I still think coming out is important, but not always necessary. Nothing wrong with wanting to avoid judgement, especially if you don't think anything positive will come of it. I kind of think if I was gay I'd probably tell my close friends and family, but seeing as I'm bi I feel comfortable with it just being something people eventually find out about me and I'll say "Why would you assume I'm straight?"
    Go for it with your boss, to come out you need to be comfortable with the idea of people knowing. It's up to you whether or not you choose to actually tell people or just let them find out, but both of these things count as coming out because you need to be okay with people knowing.

#12 MossyCave, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013