1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out day is coming up. WTF!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oddlife35, Sep 27, 2013.

1. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK so I've been telling myself that I've been waiting to come out to my friends because I want to wait until coming out day (Oct 11). Of course that's been more of a lame excuse than a real reason. In any case, that day is coming up fast! And I just found out at my grad school they have a coming out week which starts sooner! WTF. For me: opening up to everyone all week??... You might as well ask me to walk around without any clothes on. Yikes.

In any case, that's my goal. (Not the naked part, just the coming out part.) Just need some encouragement. What will/do you guys do for coming out day? Is it even a thing for you?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, that made me laugh (the naked part haha). I'm not gonna do anything but just be myself. Yes, it's a thing at my college. We have a ceremonial closet and we go through the ceremonial closet to simulate us coming out.

3. Praetor

I am hoping I have the guts to come out on fb. It'll be awkward but worth it. From then on I'll be fully out - I will no longer care who knows (not that I actually care that much right now).

4. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am tempted to use coming out day, but on the other hand it's only two weeks away so that's a bit scary! At the moment I'm coming out slowly, one person at a time. Part of me is impatient to get it over with but part of me wants to take my time.

5. Episode

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dang wish I didn't see this...! Now it's gonna be on my mind for a while...

The most important set of tests in my entire high school life will take place 3 days after 11th of October. I don't know what to do. Don't know what to expect. Sigh*

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to use coming out day, it's supposed to help us not stress us out :slight_smile:

7. Ohhai

Good luck! I found setting a definite date helped loads cxx

8. AKTodd

It's not like its a union rule that you must come out during coming out day or come out repeatedly during coming out week. If you're feeling ready to come out, these give you a symbolic date or period to aim for. Sometimes, having a definite date or period helps some folks move forward (sort of like New Years resolutions). But ultimately you need to do what (and when) works best for you.

Todd

9. Incognito10

I think the great think about that particular day is that it is another chance to show support and for those wanting to come out to know there is support out there.

10. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I think it's awesome that there is such as day as Coming Out. I just need a little kick in the butt... ahem, push in the right direction. For me, I've been "ready" to come out to my friends at grad school every since I started, but I felt awkward just going around saying "I'm gay, gay, gay!" I can hardly say that when I'm just by myself. Another part of me thinks, "WTF. Straight people don't have to set the record straight with everyone and confess that they're straight all the time. Why do I need to wear my sexual orientation as a neon sign on my forehead?!"

Ok so that's just me ranting. To be honest, the real reason for me to come out to my friends? So I can find a boyfriend ASAP! ;-)

Seriously? I wouldn't touch that scary situation with a ten-foot pole. :slight_smile: Thanks for the heads up/warning though.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Enough of a motivation to come out, methinks. I'd say (if you feel comfortable enough) take part in the coming out week, and make the most of it!

It sounds like you are ready and know that your friends will be supportive. Good luck! :slight_smile:

12. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Mirko. The funny thing is... in the past when I was trying/pretending to be straight, I would always tell my friends that I never had time for a girlfriend because I was too busy studying. Now that I'm accepting that I'm gay, it's like f:***: studies!

I get it now. I get it.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds very familiar...

I used my excuses as to why I never had time for a girlfriend as a way into the conversation when coming out to a couple of friends. :slight_smile:

14. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, similar with me. Well, when I came out to my sister I said, "Remember that girl that you've been trying to set me up with. Well, you don't need to do that anymore because..."

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

LOL That also sounds like the BEST reason. Get on with the show!!! :icon_bigg

16. oddlife35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ha ha. Only one week left. Yikes.