1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To come out or not to come out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by treeofleaves, Sep 29, 2013.

1. treeofleaves

okay so. im getting to that point where i really want to come out, and everytime i think about being with a girl, i just mentally kick myself wishing that i would come out already. and i just know that i cant do it and i dont know why. i feel like i dont have to because i dont even have a girlfriend or boyfriend. but i kind of want to come out to my friends and i keep telling myself im going to do it..but i dont..and its just turning into one of those things you will always fantasize about but never ever acctually do it. and i dont know what to do..but i get really nervous about everything..and im anxious about everything. and i want to tell ym friends (and maybe family) but i want to do it in person (because i had another friend who didi it over facebook and i dont want to do that)
    the only plan i have to tell them i have something to tell them when we next see each other in person, so then they will ask me and i will have to tell them. but i cant even make myself do that. i know my friends will accept me because we have 2 other bi girls in our group. but i can't help but think they will still think of me differently particularly the ones im closests with...and i cant even make myself do anything or take any steps towards coming out. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

:bang:

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you too scared to tell all your friends at once, you can do it one at a time. When I come out to my friends it was a good feeling and they did accept me. It seems like your friends will accept you so just go for it. It might be scary at first but it will feel much better when you do it.

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are the other bi girls that are in your group out already? If they are, try coming out to your friends.

But just know that it's not supposed to be a big rush. Coming out is encouraged, yes, but under no circumstances should it really be rushed. If you're comfortable with it, and you're fine with it, then do it. It will be an uncomfortable process, yes, but it's still something you should do on your own will.

4. bexerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you aren't comfortable with it yet, then don't do it. I wouldn't rush yourself because that makes it so much more stressful. It isn't something that you have a timeline for, so take your time, get comfortable with the idea.

I agree that telling them one on one may be easier. That is what I've done so far. I am not completely out as gay yet, but I'm getting there. What I've done, that I've found works for me is not announce it, but not hide it per se. Basically, at this point I'm not completely out, but I don't portray myself as straight. (I don't know if that makes sense. I don't think I'm explaining this very well.) For me, also, I am comfortable answering just about any question about anything. So, I make sure that the people around me know that as long as they are willing to ask, I am willing to answer.

Another thing you could do is bring up the subject, not necessarily about being bisexual specifically, but maybe something related. You can talk about it and put your thoughts and opinions out there, and it may help make you more comfortable with the entire idea. I've done this too.

But, just do whatever you are comfortable with at the moment. Don't feel as though you have to do something. I completely get where you are coming from, though. Good luck :slight_smile:

5. treeofleaves

the girls in my group are out to our group.

thankyou guys.

also iv'e talked to some of my friends about the girls who are bi, and some of them acctually don't believe that they are bi because we are still young and they haven't done anythign with a girl, which is also something that annoys me and if i come out im worried they won't believe me..and just think i'm going through a 'phase'

6. Zinnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been hiding it for a year, but I came out just a few weeks ago. I think the first thing you need to do is make sure you feel comfortable telling them. If you feel panicky when you think about coming out, you might not be completely ready yet. For me, I knew I was ready because I'd stopped feeling panicked when I thought about it. Granted, it still wasn't easy, but you need to make sure you're comfortable and ready.
    Also, if you're not comfortable telling everyone as a group, maybe take people off to the side and tell them instead.
    You shouldn't just blurt it out randomly when they're talking about something completely different though. Then they'll probably just stare at you for a good long minute wondering where the heck that came from.