1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few issues.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Inferno, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Inferno

Inferno Guest

I have already come out to my mother, which was a great relief, and she said she would love me whatever I did (as long as it didn't involve murdering people). However, I don't know what to do about telling my father.

The main issue is he is a homophobic, and since it was how he was raised, he can't be blamed for this. But I don't know whether or not to come out to him. Please Help.

2. TheMailman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's entirely your decision, you know him best. I'm assuming you're still living with your parents. Is it worth it? Shouldn't you rather wait until you're out of the house and independent? He might make life very difficult for you, if you're still dependent on him.

It may not be my place to say this, but homophobic people can't be excused because it was their upbringing. They have a free will after all, they can choose. However your father might surprise you. Having a gay daughter could very well change his world view. He might even be accepting.

3. Ohhai

No advice, but my dad found out the other day, and he's always been homophobic, but he's actually been really supportive xx

4. RainyViolinist

I can't really give you advice, but make sure that if you do end up coming out to him, please ensure that you will be safe. Just be careful, ok?