1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jeff_1010, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a 13 year old boy and know I'm bisexual but I'm still in the closet.i want to come out but don't know how and I'm scared of the reactions I will get.is their an easy way to do it. Please help.

2. sammy1

Hi Jeff....soooo first of all who do u want to come out to?

3. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would like to eventually come out to everyone but want to start small like a couple people but I'm not sure how.

4. sammy1

Ok so what I did was start with a close friend. Just don't rush it u know? Ur still young u got lots of time to open up to people :slight_smile:

5. RainyViolinist

Hey Jeff,first of all, congrats on taking the initiative and startin to think about coming out! Here's a celebratory hug (*hug*). Now onto your question, you have to decide who to come out to first. Who do you feel most comfortable telling first? Your mom, friends, who? Once you get that out of the way, you might want to test the waters to see how accepting your "target" is of LGBT people. You might do this by nonchalantly bringing up an article about gay people that you read the day before which is easy to do nowadays with all the media attention we're getting currently. If they're comfortable with it, you probably could just come out to them then and there, but if they're not, I suggest that you find someone else and repeat the above steps. Ideally, come out to one person at a time or insmall groups until you are completely comfortable with yourself. Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the help and I think I will start with a close friend but I'm not sure when.

7. RainyViolinist

I think the best time to come out is when you can look in the mirror and say clearly that you are (insert orientation here) and not feel a sense of shame. Make sure you're comfortable with your own sexuality before you tell others, or they'll brush it off and say it's only a phase.

8. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I'm sure I'm bisexual and I'm comfortable with that and I feel no shame but I'm scared of the reactions I will get when I come out.

9. RainyViolinist

Sometimes you just have to let fear take a backseat and push through. When I first came out, it was a borderline taumatic experience for me, but it ended up that the person I came out to was completely fine with it :lol:. Even though you hear on this site about people who are rejected by their families, more often than not, although they'll probably be a little shocked, whoever you come out to will most likely be accepting and supportive.

10. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope so. And thank you so much for the help.

11. RainyViolinist

12. biggayguy

I came out to my parents at the age of thirty-five and it was very scary. It was also the most liberating thing I have ever done. Just take your time and do it when you are ready.

13. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(*hug*)I'm proud of you for accepting who you are at this young age. I came out at 45.
    Maybe just hang out on EC for a while until you feel more confident. ECers have helped me alot and made me feel less alone during some tough times.(*hug*)

14. sammy1

I agree with this 100%

15. Hey there! Congrats on taking the initiative! What I'd recommend, as others here have said, is to tell a few really close friends first. It'll make you feel more comfortable with yourself, and the coming out experience will seem easier as you slowly do so. But make sure not to let anyone pressure you into coming out. You must do so on YOUR terms, when you are ready. Good luck!

16. jeff_1010

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks everyone