1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to do. :'(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Peridot, May 30, 2008.

1. Peridot

My mom found a text this morning that was sent to my cousin about me being bi.

Of course, my mother confronted me and she pretty much said:

"I believe you are only convincing yourself of this - like everyone else. Why are you acting this way, honey? You know you're not bi. That's just not natural. And why tell all your close friends about it but not me? Are you only trying to get attention from this? Why don't you just stop acting this way?"

This is completely crushing me. I feel so violated, I don't know what to say or do with my mom. She hasn't even talked to my dad, yet. She threatened to tranfer schools/send me to counselor/move away if this continues throughout my life.

I have no idea what to do.

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I think you need to sit down and have a talk with your mom, you need to assure her that this isn't just a phase your going through and that your not just trying to get attention, those seem like the big problems to me

3. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey, I'm sorry it didn't happen the way you wanted, but now your mum knows I agree with pepsi, you really should try and talk to her about it. It must have been a bit of a shock to her, and maybe she is just upset that you confided in other people before her? Although even if this is the case maybe she could have been a little more sensitive, but remember it is a shock for her. Just try to explain to her how you truely feel and give her a little time to really think about it all... it has only been since this morning that she has known.. I don't know about you but it took me a bit longer than half a day to sort out everything that was going on in my head when I first realised I was gay!

Sorry I can't be of more help but good luck with it all, and make sure you try and stay positive.. it's out now, you can't really change that, only how you react to the situation.
    (*hug*)(*hug*) oo... and have a hug to :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time to have "the talk" with Mom. Feel free to write out everything you want to say, but see if you can actually deliver the talk in person. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Peridot

Problem is though, I'm afraid that everything I say to her, she'll be able to come up with an excuse for everything and view me as some mentally challenged person or something.

I'd rather wait to bring it up again when I can move out. :/

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How old are you? This makes a difference on how you handle things, I think.

7. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Well you defintly shouldn't tell her until your completely ready.

8. Peridot

I'm almost 15.

I thought that was under my avatar? *looks*

Guess not.

Anyways, don't really have much power over my mom...
    She was yelling at me this morning, because she couldn't sleep last night thinking over everything. She said, she thinks I'm doing this to get attention from my friends and that I've "convinced" myself that I'm bi.

That's not really the case, though...

She also claims that all LGBT people became that way from certain past events. (Someone screaming "you're gay", rape, etc.) And, well, nothing really dramatic has happenned in my life so far, so she thinks I'm faking it or something.

#8 Peridot, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. darkestknight

Shit, my ma thought like that too.

She all said that it's the influences and shit like that. But I wouldn't want to believe her judgement. She couldn't accept that I'm bi, and I wouldn't want to wrestle her about this kind of thing. If she don't like, it's not my fault!:roflmao:

You can tell her "Btw, I don't learn it from school or friends!".

Sometimes I teased her about "getting a boyfriend" and looked at her expression - though she wasn't happy about it, but I must know that she will take a hell lot of time for her to accept it.

hope that helps! :grin:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>She also claims that all LGBT people became that way from certain past events. (Someone screaming "you're gay", rape, etc.) And, well, nothing really dramatic has happenned in my life so far, so she thinks I'm faking it or something.

I'm trying to think of something traumatic in my childhood that made me gay. I got chased by a dog once. And I once accidentaly rolled my tricycle (end over end) down a grassy hill. Maybe that knocked something loose. :slight_smile:

You're not supposed to have "power" over your mother. That's not how parenting works. :slight_smile: But parents are allowed to be wrong. If she insists you're "doing it for attention", just say "I'm pretty sure I'm not. But I'll give that some thought." There - now there's nothing to argue about.

Lex

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hmmmmm......yeah, I wonder what happened to my son to make him gay too. :eusa_doh: She's clueless, she really is. She needs some PFLAG materials ASAP. There is one on bisexuality, can you download that and give it to her? You can find them under PFLAG publications as a sticky at the top of Support and Advice.

12. Peridot

Thanks for the support and advice, everyone, but I think I'll bring it up again to my parents when I'm able to move out.

I really don't want to get sent to a counselor...

13. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I would advise talking to them about it. Print out some PFLAG stuff and write down your feelings and beliefs in advance. Try to explain that you truly believe you are bi. Why would you say you were just for fun? If you don't address this issue with them it could fester at the back of your relationship for ages.