1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does She Know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocking23, May 30, 2008.

1. rocking23

Ive got a little question on how to interpret what my mom said (which well more so slipped out.) I ran through my head what she said a few times and I couldn't for the likes of me decipher what she said. Heres the jist of the convo.

... Insert stuff leading up (not needed)...
    Me: He likes the fact that...how do i want to put it...
    Mom: you mean like: He likes that he's with the daughter...son of the district commander.

The moment that was said, it was funny because the moment she said "it" I was really alert.

I'm sure (or at least that's what my brain wants me to think) it's nothing, but i would however, like another take on the subject.

PCE

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Context, please.

Lex

3. rocking23

im not exactly sure how to put it in a "context" that could easier understood.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, maybe you could provide us with a bit more of the conversation (if you feel comfortable with it). Are you afraid that she might suspect that you are gay?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I'm totally confused. :confused:

6. Evilmonkey

thats not enough of the convo to help you.. sorry. give us a bit more of the convo so we can understand

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me just guess, then.

Me: He likes the fact that...how do i want to put it...
    Mom: you mean like: He likes that he's with the daughter...son of the district commander.

I'm guessing that the "he" referenced is the same person each time. Call him Bob. And the daughter/son of the district commander is you - PCE. So...

PCE: Bob likes the fact that...how should I put this...
    Mom: Bob likes the fact that Bob is with you, PCE, who is the daughter...er, son of the district commander.

If I got any of that wrong, skip the next part.

So does it mean anything that your mother referred to you as "daughter" instead of "son"? Not in the slightest. I was the second son - I have an older brother (call him Brooklyn). I can't count how many times my mother called me "Brook...I mean, Lex." We joked that it'd be easier if I just changed my name to "Brookimeanlex". Hell, my partner's an only child, and his mother on at least one occasion called him by the DOG's name! :slight_smile:

People say the wrong thing all the time. And most of the time, I think, it doesn't really mean anything. I was telling the story of a distant acquaintance recently, and I tried to preface it by saying "there's this girl I know who wants to go into acting". Instead, I said, "There's this girl I want..." Telling? Perhaps the gay gargoyle ain't so gay after all? Nah, just think I screwed up the word order. :slight_smile:

Your mother probably was thinking about Bob, and about how people like that like to hook up with the children of district commanders. And she went hetero on you, and, without thinking, stuck Bob with a woman. Not realizing that she was calling you her daughter instead of son. SHe was probably somewhat mortified once she realized what she'd done. And no, I certainly wouldn't hold it against her.

Lex

8. rocking23

here's a more of the convo:

Me: So what time is the parade on Saturday
    Mom: Oh yeah, is Doug (my friend) coming?
    Me: Yeah, He likes the fact that...how do i want to put it...
    Mom: you mean like: He likes that he's with the daughter...son of the district
    commander.

Thats the conversation in it's entirety.
    Sorry to not say enough in the first place...

Hope this helps!

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I stand by my last post.

Lex

10. rocking23

I agree with it too!

Thanks!

11. Evilmonkey

nah dont read into it then.. once my mum called me 'it' , i found it pretty offensive (talking to dad about me; 'look at it!) but nah, that was her being a bitch. but your mum probs meant nothing by it