1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best person who knows you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Siarad, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Siarad

The best person who knows I'm gay is my brother, who was kind enough to inform me of this (very obvious to him) fact when I was still in denial! I have only just started coming out to anyone else but my brother is always there to talk to, in terms of worries but also in brilliantly casual ways along the lines of "wow, yes Felicia Day really is seriously hot, isn't she?!".

So... If you're lucky enough to have someone in your life who knows you're gay and is 'the best person who knows you're gay' - who are they are and how are they great?

2. piratealisonnn

My mom told me I was gay. I started dating my girlfriend and tried hiding it. She cornered me one day and told me what was going on. She just knew. I never even had to come out to her.

3. Twinkletoes81xx

I have two friends that are the best people who know. When I came out to them they gave me so much support and took it a lot better than I thought. I think they might have suspected it. I found out that they were also both pan so I didn't even have to go through explaining what it meant and I'm finally not the only one. :slight_smile: <3

4. petitebrunette

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mother. I told her I liked girls and she acted like it was no big deal (she's also bi). She then went on to tell me that she thinks I would have a better relationship with women rather than men and from there we talked about our preferences :slight_smile:.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a toss-up between my sister and my best friend.

The first thing my sister told me when I came out to her, was "I love you!". She's been my greatest support despite being afflicted with AIDS.

When I came out to my best friend of 41 years, he was shocked; but went with the flow as he always does. By the end of the conversation we were in stitches. We've never been closer...

6. biggayguy

There's this Anglican priest that I consider a good friend. He didn't bat an eye when I came out to him. He just listened. We talked about many things. He believes that homosexual acts are wrong but he tries very hard not to judge people. One reason I value him as a friend is that his daughter is FtM. He is struggling with GLBT issues as a parent. He is a good man. I also came out to my counselor but our sessions are few. I trust the priest more.

7. blueberrymuffin

I'm close to one of those 'ally crusader' types on my floor. We have a lot of common interests, so i think we would be friends anyway, but it's so nice to have endless support like that. He's even come with to the gay bar here and introduced me to a guy i ended up dating a while.

8. Trailblazer

The only person that really knows that will acknowledge it is my brother, but he just uses it as a threat to out me now if I piss him off. Not fun.

9. Nines

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My two cousins who I grew up with just laughed when I told them and there was no hesitation to return to complete normalcy. So far they're the only ones who I'm 100% comfortable talking about attractive celebrities or crushes with.
    I can't tell the difference between our childhood relationship and the one we have now besides more cussing and dirty jokes but that's just common teenager stuff.

10. Ohhai

I told my best friend and she was like 'Erm yeah it's pretty obvious' :lol:

11. DrkRayne

My dad. I swear I love that man.

I had such a hard time coming out. My mother refused to listen, when I started the sentence she would scream and say "DONT SAY THAT!" and walk away. When it came obvious for everyone, my dad...seriously...I couldn't have made it through without him.

I sat next to him in his lazy boy and took his chips. I started crying and he never asked me. I finally told him and he said
    "I like girls too. We have that in common." He paused and let me cry some more. Then said "So I think Beyonce looked better when she was thicker, before she lost all that weight. what do you think?"

Later after I tried to kill myself he brought me to his house. he had DVR'd Ellen and Portia on Oprah, in 2010 which was right after my mother kicked me out. He made me watch it with him. I remember what he said word for word

"You know why they are happy? Because they are being who that are. They don't give a monkey's butt what anyone else says. That how you need to be. Be who you are and then you'll be happy"

I love that man. LOVE him. sooooo much.

12. ChloeAllison

The best, and only, person who knows I'm bi/gay is my friend Miri. She is one of those girls who was always so supportive of everyone and would stand up for anyone when harsh words were being said about them. We were having a conversation about her moms coming out story, she asked why I was crying before I even realized I was. Then she just hugged me and told me it was okay. After that she has been the one friend I feel like I truly know and vice versa :slight_smile:

13. Siarad

Your Dad sounds incredible!

14. BlueLines

When I came out to my best friend he said that he knew I was gay ever since we first started hanging out. That was way before I came out to myself. He has been really cool about it all for sure.

15. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh, it's hard to choose just one person! I've been met with support from everyone. My parents especially though. Shortly after I told them through a letter they sent me this message....

"Hi Gareth. As you are aware we have read your letter, and won't deny, we have often wondered.Please don't think we are disappointed as we feel nothing but pride and will support you with any decision you make. Your happiness is everything to us and as far as we are concerned, this changes nothing we have... You are the perfect son"

Now, this was a major shock because I honestly thought my parents were dead set against the idea of having a gay son. Turns out they're the most supportive people I know!

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nobody that I know knows (or atleast I've never told anyone)...
    ...yeah there's the various gay forums like this one, but i don't count those since its sorta anonymous LOL (well I have met one person in real life from another forum (as friends only), so kinda 1)

17. beyond

beyond Guest

1-2 years ago I told my best friend, and then my crush (didn't tell her I was crushing on her though), and then a year later, my other best friend. It went very well. More and more people are starting to find out at my school, I don't mind. But only one of my friends know I am genderqueer.

18. Werbinich

The only three persons I've came out to are VERY supportive. My counselor was the first to know. She gave me an abundance of advise of how to cope with life and others. Then I came out to mu crush...apparently, I was completely oblivious to how obvious I was of having the hots for him. Our friendship remained as friendship but it deepened and he is wonderfully supportive. My homeroom teacher, one I treat as a great friend, ensured me that I was not the 'stereotypical' gay so I could stay in the closet at school since my classmates aren't that open minded but she provided me a person to express my troubles with.

I'm luckier than I thought possible.

19. theMaverick

All the people I've come out to over the past few years which at this point is probably 5 or so and then a few people I was out to from the get-go have all be really cool about it and most of them said they knew it already, even though I've bounced between gay, bisexual, unsure, and just plain not-straight, I can't really pick a "best".

20. LILuke

A very close friend of mine who came out as gay many years ago is the only person who knows I'm Bisexual, and I consider myself lucky beyond measure to have him to confide in.