1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just say "I'm gay"?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Spirit, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Spirit

I feel like when I tell my dad, that I should say something more than "I'm gay". But I can't think of the words. Most of the other times I've come out to someone, it seemed like the exact perfect time to say something. Meaning, that the other person asked, or the opprotunity presented itself. But when I told my mom, she had already figured it out, and it was more me saying it so she would stop asking if I was ready or not.

Is just saying "I'm gay" too blunt? I feel like I should start with saying something like "I have something I want to tell you" and go from there. Does anyone who's been in this situation have any suggestions?

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not too blunt at all, it's to the point.

3. Monkeyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Write him a letter of everything you want to say then allow him to digest what you've written. Like my mum told me, your love for your child can't just be turned off like a light switch.

4. Spirit

My initial plan for telling my mom was writing her a letter, but I told her before I ended up writing it. I think saying it might be easier than writing it, if that makes sense.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! You can always start the conversation with

It could make it easier on you, and prepare your dad a little bit for the following words. If you feel that your dad already suspects and he is waiting for you to speak with him, chose the more 'direct' approach, and say "Dad, I want to confirm your suspicions. I'm gay."

It does make sense. Everybody has their own preferred way of coming out. Choose the route with which you feel most comfortable. If you feel comfortable coming out in person, and talking about it, go for it. :slight_smile:

6. blueberrymuffin

Do the "I have something to tell you / something i want to share." Two words is too blunt and potentially shocking.

7. Jsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Don't worry about being blunt. Think of it as ripping off a bandaid. You don't peal it off slowly. You rip it off as fast as you can. that way, it hurts less. If you're scared about telling him, then saying "I'm gay" is the perfect way of doing it. It takes a split second of courage and then, there's no going back.

8. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say, that if you're doing it face to face then it would be better to keep it straight to the point. That way it's over and done with. Sometimes if you beat it round the bush you dig a bigger hole for yourself and make things ten times harder than what they need to be. I'm sure when you tell him, he will have plenty of questions that he wants to ask you. So be prepared for that! On the other hand, if you wanted to say something more than just "I'm gay", I guess you could write a letter. That way you can get all your feelings down on paper, without being interrupted or muddling them all up.

9. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You souldn't drag it out too long, but if you think he doesn't suspect any thing you might want to give him a second or so's warning. Just a sentance; something along the line of "Dad, I have something I want to share with you" make it sound postive though so that he knows this isn't a bad thing. Then get straight to the point. There'll be plenty of time to explain more once you've said it. And like GArchi1992 said be ready to answer any questions.
    Good luck!!

10. beyond

beyond Guest

I believe you shouldn't take too much time with the wording, and just make it fast; like a bandaid. Maybe just start off with: "There's something I've been meaning to tell you...I'm gay." and voila! Good luck.

11. ChloeAllison

Best of luck with coming out. My only suggestion is that you prepare your self to answer questions he might have after you tell him to help him understand.

12. Spirit

Thanks, for all of the support, guys! I'm going to try and do it tomorrow, I know I'm ready.

13. LILuke

You could take a leaf out of Mark Twain's book and say "Reports of my heterosexuality have been greatly exaggerated." xD

[The actual quote was "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" after obituaries of him started cropping up even though he was still alive]

14. Werbinich

I've successfully came out to three people in three ways.
    Face to face (counselor)
    Phone (friend and initial crush)
    Letter (home room teacher)

"I'm gay" might be shocking but straight to the point. Depends on how you think your dad might react.

Good luck!

15. Spirit

OMG :roflmao: I'm totally going to use this when I come out on facebook.