1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lau 007, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Lau 007

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure where to start, but since February I've acknowledged the fact that I'm gay even though since I was about 14 I've been in denial about it. Now I'm accepting myself for who I am, and in my mind it's okay. But now I feel like I need to come out because I'm trapped and just don't know what to do anymore?
    Both of my parents are really homophobic (amongst other things) so I feel that there is absolutely no way that I can say anything, and I can't tell my best friend because I can't trust her not to tell my parents (she's told them things before with almost disastrous consequences).
    I'm just so far in the closet I might as well just not bother with anything anymore. It's suffocating me and all becoming too much.
    Any ideas on what to do? :tears:

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you living at home? Maybe you can delay your coming out until you are living independently and then the 'fall-out' will be less difficult.

Your best friend surely could keep it quiet if she really knew how important it is to you??

3. AmityRanch

What Bingostring said.

4. ChloeAllison

The above is correct. I am not out and in no way have it all figured out but as a girl with very homophobic parents who I love dearly, I highly suggest if you are still living at home that you find a way to live independently. For me this provided the space I needed to come to find my own view of the world and accept myself. Not to mention build a good friend support group. I still feel that I cannot come out to my parents or siblings but I do have a very strong relationship with them.
    Also, It is very good to be choosey about who you tell. I also have friends who I love but couldn't tell because I know as ugh as they love me secrets are too much to bear for them and they would tell someone.

5. Inferno

Inferno Guest

It's okay. You can wait until you are living on your own, and tell them then. Heck, they may be happy about it and it may change there outlook on life. You could decide not to tell them, and when it comes to your wedding day, reveal it then, in the company of your friends and family. Just do what keeps you safe.