1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being out at university..... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rhodri, May 31, 2008.

1. Rhodri

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, i only have a couple weeks left of school before im done high school forever, and i'll be going to the university of windsor in september. I'd like to keep my preferences a secret for at least a little while to cut down on the stress of my first year, but i know that a few people from my current school, where im out to everyone, will probably tell people at university, so i cant count on keeping it a secret there. My question is, has anyone here gone through, or is going through, college/uni, and is open about being gay? I know Canada's pretty tolerant, but do you think it will be substantially different from going into grade nine? (I was outed within a few days of the end of grade 8)

2. Bryan90

I am in UofT, and I consider myself to be completely out since I have button tags on my bag that says "Homophobia Sucks" and "LGBTQ Pride!".

In my opinion, it's actually easier to be out in University than in High School. Mainly because:
    1) Only rarely do people get teased or taunted in public in University
    2) Most universities in Canada have LGBT clubs and an Equity Office which strongly advocates for positive space, which means explicit oppression is seldom seen
    3) And generally, people are more "educated" in University, and seldom make statements like "Omg..do you have AIDS? Will I get it if I am your friend?"

So I guess it should be better.. but ultimately it's up to you..

3. Rhodri

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the reply:slight_smile: yeah, i was thinking along those lines. When i came out in grade 8/9, every single person would ask me the same set of questions, and it got annoying tbh. Now that i'm an adult, though, i can just tell anyone who gives me a hard time exactly what i think of them lol

4. Andrew

Like the poster above said.. Universities are way more open to gay people.. Since well they are more mature.. Unlike high school, all the kids are immature and its crazy. :slight_smile:

-Luis

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I'd like to keep my preferences a secret for at least a little while to cut down on the stress of my first year...

Actually, staying in the closet would probably give you more stress than staying out. If you don't feel like making a big public announcement, or "advertising" the fact, that's fine. But no reason to add to your stress level by worrying if people know or don't know. If you simply don't CARE who knows, there's nothing to stress about. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Rhodri

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good point, didnt think of it like that. gnight anyways, its getting late:smilewave

7. Sam

Sam

I just graduated from a 2 year. I wasn't screaming "hey everybody I'm gay" but I didn't try to hide it I was just myself and if anybody asked I would tell them the truth. I also wrote a lot of papers about gay related subjects so by the time I was done (a couple of weeks ago) I was out to a lot of people.

I don't like having to hide who I am and watch what I say I just like to be myself and if others have a problem with it then its their problem. I spent most of my life hiding and lying and watching what I said and did so I decided a couple of years ago that I wouldn't do that anymore.

I think that you should just be yourself because if you have to worry about every little thing you say or do then your first year will be a lot more stressful. If you're just yourself and you say and do what you want then you won't have that added stress. I'm not saying you have to get on a rooftop and scream it but you can be yourself and when asked reply with the truth. Trust me it would be better than suppressing it.

Sam

8. InaRut

*Hi-Fives*

DUDE :slight_smile: I'll be in Universty of Brock :slight_smile: WICKEEEDD!

Anways...I plan on doing the same. SO thanks for the thread. *Reads through posts*

9. Jim1454

I wasn't out in university, but I would tend to agree with the above posts. I don't think you have much to worry about. I also doubt that your orientation will be a topic of discussion for your old high school friends and their new university friends - other than to help clarify for those interested in you what 'team you play for'. THAT will likely be a benefit to you! Good luck in uni! Seems like a life-time ago for me!