1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just wait until I move out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beyond, Oct 4, 2013.

1. beyond

beyond Guest

Hello, hello, hello!
    So, in the past I tired telling my mother (whom I live with) that I like girls. She ended up saying something along the lines of same-sex relationships being stupid, etc. which made me really upset. Maybe around two times I've tried coming out to her, in which I only ended up being shoved back into the closet. (She also pretends I'm straight). I've told all of my besties and friends, and even people I don't socialize much at school knows; but basically put, I'm out to everyone except my family. In the past, I heard family members talking to other family members about the LGBT community, and they've said pretty harsh and awful things.
    The hardest part would be telling them I am genderqueer, seeing as it is an unfamiliar term to them. I've ever only told one person that, and she's accepted me. She always had.

So my question is: should I just wait until I move out to tell my family? That way, if they don't accept me, I won't have to put up with their hateful nonsense. (My birthday's in a month, so I'd really only have to put up with pretending to be straight for two more years, then I can move out legally). What do you all think?

2. Winter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Certainly, you should wait. If her opinion on homosexuality is as negative as you say, do not shove it in her face about who you are and what you love for now. There may even be a possibility that she might kick you out or disown you, as many other LGBT have faced in coming out to their family.

You must remember that dealing with her "hateful nonsense" will be damaging to your mental health (just like bullying), so if you know that this will result, do not tell her, for your own well-being.

What's most important is yourself, not being accepted. Not everyone or everything is accepted and it's a fact of life. But know this, you will find your happiness. Finish school, settle with a good-paying career, move out, have fun. You will do everything you have to do, and say everything you need to say, after you accomplish this. For you to have power over people, you must have power yourself.

3. beyond

beyond Guest

Thank-you!

4. enigmeow

Yeah, sadly.. So many teenagers end up homeless because their parents are far to hateful..

If you have a place you could move into in that case (a accepting family member?), you might take the risk. Otherwise, sit tight and focus on building the resources (schooling, etc) to allow you to have options