1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pocky, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Pocky

I know it's been covered on here and not always endorsed because facebook can be so far-reaching.

However, I'm in the situation where most of the people I have on Facebook aren't really friends. They're people who drifted away a long time ago so I'm not really going to harm friendships with any sort of revelation.

Having said that, is there any non-awkward way of using Facebook to be more "out" other than just blatantly posting "I'm gay!!"? I haven't posted in a long time so that would be kind of super-awkward.

2. lisbethfox

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How about using the interested in part of your profile?

3. lovely lesbian

That is probably the best way but do whatever you feel is best for u x

#3 lovely lesbian, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. Projectfabulous

One of my gay friends came out over facebook and said that he liked it because it was blunt, direct, and told many people at once. But that's just one story. If you think it's the way you want to do it, I say go for just putting I'm gay on your facebook:slight_smile:

5. StillHere

I think when you change your interested part of your profile it will show up in your friends feed, but not sure. If it does, that is the way I will come out on FB.

6. prive

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in the process of coming out at the moment. I've now told a few close friends and my sister, and this week decided to come out on facebook - a decision made after a few drinks.

The responses I had have all been positive. Got quite a few private messages from various people, wishing me all the best. I don't have a huge amount of friends on facebook - around 150 (whereas I there are people who have thousands), but out of all my friends, around 20 or so liked my coming out post, and around 7-8 sent a PM. That means that 120 or so haven't responded at all. That could be because they haven't seen my post, or it could be that they would rather not reply than post anything negative.

My coming out post on facebook was pretty blunt. It wasn't simply a "I'm gay" post and no more, I wrote about how I just want to be happy, and that it's time that I can be happy and be honest and out.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but for me, it was a good way to come out to people who all at once, and I'm glad I did. I feel as though I've lost a stone in weight - that stone being the one that has sat on my shoulder for far too long!

7. RainbowMan

I wouldn't interpret this to mean that they have negative things to say. Several of the people that I've come out to (I'm still in the process myself) have been like "oh, OK whatever" and perhaps that's the reaction of these 120 people - they're not saying anything since they think that it's a normal part of life.

Just some food for thought :slight_smile:

8. method

I don't know whether I intend for this advice to be absolutely serious, or just a joke, but I've been wanting to try posting this on my profile for some time now. Sometimes, humour can break the ice and awkwardness.

[YOUTUBE]hS9KPwfylmg[/YOUTUBE]

9. Pocky

Yeah I feel like there's a good chance of getting positive responses as well as making it known to guys I went to school with who I now know are gay.

It's also good considering the position I'm in. I want people to know but don't really have that many people that I can tell 'in person'.

I guess I'm just wondering if it was something others had done because it just seems like an awkward thing, as much as I do want to do it.

10. Miss Loopy

I dislike seeing people come out on Facebook, but then again, if anyone posts anything serious on Facebook I get annoyed. I don't know why you need to put it on there, to be honest. I find it a bit attention-y. I know it's not always the case, but I'm a bitch :grin:

11. Pocky

That's why I'm asking opinions, I feel the same way.

I also feel like I don't have any other way of just being fully out.